Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Billing Error

FIXED
Impromtu

Failed Billing Error

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help me getting http://failed.billing.plus.net/apps/payment/failed after waiting a while to load websites.  Seems to come and go I have tried clearing the cache and all sorts but still comes back. Weird thing is my payment/billing is all up to date.

First problem ive had with the service been great up until now just guessing its one of them gremlins that appears during the crappy weather we've been having lately.

24 REPLIES 24
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Failed Billing Error

Fix

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

The account has no invoice in failed billing.

This error condition is being seen where either payment on the account is over due or (where a dynamic IP address is in use) a previous user of your current IP address (in the last 7 days) has an account payment which is over due.

If you have an over due payment then to resolve this issue you need to attend to the over due bill. If you do not have an over due payment, you need to force your connection to acquire a new IP address.

Use https://www.whatismyip.com/ to find your current external IP address and record it. Switch off your router for at least 65 minutes (to kill off your dynamic IP address lease) and reconnect. Use https://www.whatismyip.com/ again to verify that the address has changed. You should then be able to connect OK

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Sorry to hear you're seeing this error page.

Did you try switching your router off for 65 minutes and how did it go?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Impromtu

Hello,

Sorry meant to post back that helped me out no longer getting that error.  Thank's for your help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems and I'm glad to hear that!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nikkas
Dabbler

I'm getting that over the last few days but it is intermittent - ie I can retry a link and it might work 2nd or 3rd time. And then not get the error for a while. Why would it work after a retry or two, work then re-occur?

I don't see how refreshing why my IP address is going to help or are you perhaps suggesting that the last IP address my router picked up has been linked to someone else's account which has had an overdue payment? If so that system stinks. I've never seen this before and seeing as there are a couple of recent comments which make me wonder if it's a new 'feature' of Plusnet ?  I do not want to lose access for 65 minutes when I'm working .

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The issue and current mitigation are as stated. I guess only you can choose which suits you best - keep encountering the problem or disconnect for 65 minutes. Do you really work 24x7?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nikkas
Dabbler

"The issue and current mitigation are as stated." - I (and most of us) like to have an explanation for service failures (Hence e.g. "accident ahead" signs on the motorways which make us feel ever so marginally better about queues).

Switching tech off and on is a convenient (for 'them') way of burying an issue.

"I guess only you can choose which suits you best - keep encountering the problem or disconnect for 65 minutes." Indeed, or move to another provider.

"Do you really work 24x7?" yeah. I'm dead keen.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Doesn't business broadband come with a free static IP address?

Surely that would get round the problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If this is a business account, yes a fixed IP address is available on request. This is an issue the SUs have been championing. Until such time as the technical issue is resolved, the standing mitigation advice stands.

nikkas
Dabbler

Thanks for prompt reply. Hope you will resolve issue.

Meanwhile I have sacrificed 65 minutes of work time Wink and refreshed IP address.

A fixed IP would be welcome thanks for the offer.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @nikkas,

No one on here who has responded to you has made an offer to you or would be able to do the same.  We are all customers like you, however we understand quite a bit about the PN services and their operations having being customers for many years.

As @Browni and myself stated, BUSINESS grade accounts come with a fixed IP address as an option, RESIDENTIAL accounts can request a fixed IP address as an add on for a one off £5 charge.  You can request a fixed IP address in the user portal under connection settings.

If all you are concerned about is this issue, a fixed IP address might be a bit of a sledgehammer!  The underlying cause of this issue is under investigation ... as I have mentioned elsewhere, it is not in the billing system.

nikkas
Dabbler

Thanks @Townman - it was slightly tongue in cheek and based on quick read of the email message notification which is signed:

"Best wishes,
Plusnet Help Team" which I misinterpreted as an admin message. So apologies for that.

Otherwise it seems that most of the effort is by customers (although occasionally a Plusnet admin does seem to get involved) and it's always good to get some constructive help.

If the problem does re-occur I might be demanding my fixed IP for free!

Cheers

nik

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Nik,

If you hang around here, you'll find a fair few customers with long experience in delivering IT services and solutions, some having worked in IT longer than some of the really good staff guys around here have been the apple of their dad's eye!!

There is a lot of stuff knowledgeable customers can do to help other customers.  For some complex issues we can offer hand holding which would be time difficult for staffers.  Also dealing with those issues we can sort, leaves more time for the stuff customers cannot assist with - that is those issues needing access to the business systems.

For the issue to happen again, you'd need a new PPP session acquiring a dirty IP address.  If your line is clean and stable you ought not to see a PPP session drop for a while.  Keeping your router switched on and not messed with helps to mitigate the risk of catching a dirty IP address - for example my current PPP session duration is 50 days.  In the meantime the issue is under further investigation.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Nik.

I'm sorry to hear your service has been affected by this issue, and for the inconvenience caused by the workaround to resolve it so you're able to access the internet normally again.

Meanwhile I have sacrificed 65 minutes of work time Wink and refreshed IP address.

Thanks for that.

"Do you really work 24x7?" yeah. I'm dead keen.

Me too. Smiley

As Townman has mentioned, this is something we're investigating to resolve as soon as we can.

Please let us know if you continue to experience this problem.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet