cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

FIXED
robsinglehurst
Grafter
Fixes: 1

FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

I want to keep my landline and phoney.co.uk look like they do the legwork. As soon as the fibre has been installed I'll be changing to the 50 meg package that I had an email about on the 16th May. What do I need to request etc from Plusnet to keep my current landline number?

Thanks,
--Rob
76 REPLIES 76
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 278

Re: FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

You don't request anything from PN - immediately after your FTTP service goes live, you place an order with your chosen VoIP supplier to take over your phone number.

Out of interest, I don't think there is a 50 meg FTTP service - the minimum is 74?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: FTTP being installed now but need to keep landline - not worried about my IP address changing.

Never heard of phoney.co.uk and no website exists ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW neither does a 50 meg package - think the OP is confused?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My guess is they've posted in the wrong forum and are actually referring to Fibre(SoGEA) estimated at 50Mb

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robsinglehurst
Grafter

Thanks John,

I just mentioned 50 Meg as this is what I was offered in an email 4 days ago 🙂

Screenshot 2024-05-20 072033.jpg Screenshot 2024-05-20 072034.jpg

I'm on about 21 Meg through the twisted pair so even 50 Meg will be much better!

robsinglehurst
Grafter

Yep, that was my bad - it's

https://www.phonely.co.uk/

jab1
Legend

@robsinglehurst Ah, so this is your renewal offer, but on FTTC not FTTP?

John
robsinglehurst
Grafter

Well. I'm pretty sure we've had Fibre To The Cabinet for several years - we're miles away from the nearest main exchange. Just checked on OpenReach and this is showing for my postcode.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 073738.jpg

20240511_075725.jpg

These appeared last week - so I'm guessing it's imminent. Do they bring the fibre actually up to your house? Or does that happen when you place an order?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm on about 21 Meg through the twisted pair so even 50 Meg will be much better!

@robsinglehurst Fibre (as opposed to Full fibre) is delivered down exactly the same line!. If your estimate is sayin 50Mb and you're only currently getting 21Mb then you have a problem with your current connection.

As to phonely.co.uk, their basic plan at £9.97 is not cheap UNLESS you make lots of calls NB they have a 1200/1200 mins FUP.

edit: from your post above, the Fibre installation is Virgin installing via Nexfibre.  Plusnet will not use that Fibre.

Openreach are not planning Full fibre(FTTP) in your area until 2026

robsinglehurst
Grafter

Thanks,

So I could "upgrade" to this (it's cheaper - apart from the landline side) and then report my slow speed to PlusNet so it can get sorted?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

What does the BTwholesale checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL say for your estimates ?

robsinglehurst
Grafter

So, just logged into my Plusnet account and this is the page showing my current contract. If I upgrade now will that effectively just be a case of swapping my Hub One for the Hub Two and then sorting out VOIP for the landline number? It will still just come in via the copper pair?

Screenshot 2024-05-20 075916.jpg

Baldrick1
Fixes: 426

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

robsinglehurst
Grafter

Here it is - I've edited my landline number