cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extortion

darthonian
Hooked

Extortion

Plusnet want me to pay £181 for early termination despite getting slow speeds on my broadband (i sent them a copy of the speed report) abysmal WiFi speeds from 500kps to 4mps.

Tried to resolve the issue but frankly the customer service was poor

Daylight Robbery so legal options would be appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
JohnLeddy

Re: Extortion

Your experience sounds pretty par for the course as far as I can tell.

In my opinion you're being quite generous when you say the customer service was poor.

We're six months in and can't wait to be rid of this company. We decided to let the contract run its course surmising paying for poor service would perhaps be preferable to paying for no service at all.

Rest assured you're not alone in detesting the practices of this company.

As far as I know there are no legal options for you to follow. Whilst of little practical help, I see participants within this industry as no different to car or insurance salesmen.

Once you accept your dealing with people with the ethics of those within the motoring and financial industries the ill-treatment you have experienced may feel a little less personal.

It isn't logical to allocate a great deal of funds into fair play or customer service when the actual purpose within an industry is deliberate churning.

wayyoung
Rising Star

Wifi speeds are dependant on many factors including your equipment, location and interference. It's not indicative of your actual broadband speeds which again can depend on many factors. Your line stats and speeds can be gained by logging into your router and it's these that you may wish to look at.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @darthonian

I'm sorry that you've had a poor experience with ourselves, if you PM me your account details I'll happy take a look at your account and see if there are any problems causing slow speeds. We may need your help to perform some tests that help us isolate the problem.

@wayyoung was right when he said that 

wayyoung wrote:

Wifi speeds are dependant on many factors including your equipment, location and interference. It's not indicative of your actual broadband speeds which again can depend on many factors.

However there are some things we can do to try to improve this for you and If after we have investigated and had a chance to rectify the problem we are unable to provide you with at least your minimum guaranteed line access speed (I'll be able to give you this information once I have your account information) via a wired connection you may have the option to leave without penalty.

@JohnLeddy I'd also really like to help you with the issues that you're having. but don't want to drag this thread off topic, can you PM me please with your account details and a summary of the problem?  I'll happily investigate it for you.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
darthonian
Hooked

It appears I must endure plusnet however I shall be looking into the terms of service to determine any breach

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi @darthonian,

I'm not sure from what I wrote where you get the impression that you must endure Plusnet, I'm offering to take a look into your account to see what can be done.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Reading here - https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-router-vastly-improves/m-p/1428971 - it would appear that having invested in a router of a higher specification, possibly more suitable for darthonian's (not specified) environment, he is now happy with the performance being provided by the PN BROADBAND service.

In some circumstances / environments, the PN basic router's WiFi will not cover the whole of a user's space - that can be due to the fabric or size of the building and the number of neighbouring WiFi APs.  As ever in life, there are basic models of things and there are more expensive models of things.  Both do the same thing, the more expensive ones sometimes do it a bit better. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

darthonian
Hooked

This users space was a room five FEET away so I was not asking for the impossible but your Hub One was useless, I have no issues with my broadband but your wifi provision I found woeful.

i don't think having to spend more money to achieve a reasonable service is great service

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Did you do anything to examine what other Wi-Fi APs are operating in the neighbourhood?  There are a number of tools around (inSIDDer and AcrylicWiFI to name but two) which allow users to see what APs are operating nearby and thereby choose a clearer channel for their AP.

There is every possibility that the new router defaults to a different Wi-Fi channel than the PN router and that is a contributor to your improved Wi-Fi performance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.