cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience of referring

southern

Experience of referring

I recently referred a friend to PlusNet as he was having problems with his existing ISP.  The old Broadband service was switched-off on the changeover day but the PlusNet service was not activated until two days later when we managed to get through on the phone.  In addition, the ordered hardware did arrive until it we chased-up the order.  We received no explanation why the switch-over hadn't taken place as promised. The new customer is now happy with the service (it works!) but not impressed with PlusNet helpline.  I am loathe to recommend anyone else to PlusNet at this time.
7 REPLIES 7
SentryIT

Re: Experience of referring

I have had previous bad experiences of referring to plusnet but I understand they admit there were issues and I hope now that they are resolved.
I have just today signed someone up to transfer from BT to PlusNet so we'll see how that goes. On another note however I am in two minds about referring friends and clients to PlusNet as I've been trying to geta  fault with my service rectified for the past month or so (the fault has been coming and going since december)
My router often loses sync to the broadband system and comes back a few minutes later, this is worse during bad weather and when playing on-line games. After first being told there were no problems I was then told that my speed had dropped to that of dial up as I keep syncing too much (yes I know that) but I was also told that it was not a fault at PlusNet or BT. I have now purchased a new router costing £70 and.... you guessed it, fault is back.
Still no admitance of fault or getting an engineer to do anything about it, I've now been told to turn my router off several times over an hour or so, something to do with the rate adaptive thing. I have done this and only oine disconnection so far but the weather has improved over the last 48 hours so I'll observe over the next few days.
Not convinced enough to refer my clients at present.
Oh, and I also asked if someone could contact me about compensation for being £70 out of pocket. That has been conveniently ignored in all responses.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

>> My router often loses sync to the broadband system and comes back a few minutes later,
Unfortunately there really is nothing that PN can do about you loosing sync with the exchange as it is down to the local conditions of your line.  Your line disconnects when your router looses the ability to "hear the signal" from the exchange, when your SNR Margin drops too low.  There are certain routers that do perform better than others on this type of line.  Without knowing your line - there could be local conditions that cause a noise burst such as street lighting, central heating pumps etc.
>> I've now been told to turn my router off several times over an hour or so, something to do with the rate adaptive thing.
hmmmm  not sure about that - constant rebooting the router is one of the easiest ways to fool the DLM into lowering your speed. 😕  Can I ask do you normally leave your router connected 24/7?  IMHO you are probably best leaving alone.  Sync up when your SNR Margin is low and leave it to find its own level.
Ive seen some users get into vicious cycles with the reboot thing..  They turn on the PC in the earlier part of the day when SNR is going to be better, and the router syncs at a high speed.  As the evening wears on SNR drops, so the line drops, and comes back up again at a slightly lower speed, SNR drops again, line drops, comes back up @ lower speeds etc etc until it stabilises.  They then go to bed and turn the router off.  The router cant retain in its memory the most stable sync speed, so the next day the cycle resumes.
You should also make sure that it isnt anything with your own internal system thats causing the problems - troubleshooting guide.
Monitoring your line stats may help you see whats going on
If it continues to be a problem, and it isnt a BT line problem (try doing a quiet line test).. then one of the things that could perhaps be looked at to stabilise the line is requesting BTw to increase the target SNR.
ahooks

Regarding your loss of sync (yeah I know this is a bit off topic, but I want to try and help out!! ;)) I too had the same problems that you've been having until the end of April when me and another friend I'd referred were both suffering the same problem.  As we both use the same exchange we thought that was where the problem was, but it wasn't.
I'd keep getting packet loss during games, and eventually the router made it appear as if the connection was still up, but the download/data transfer speeds dropped to be that slow, that it would have been faster on Dial Up!
I started to do some investigations in to whether it was my router or the line.  I ensured all the house phone wiring was correct, replaced filters etc but still had the same problem. 
So I installed a program called RouterStats which is geared up for my Netgear DG834GT.  I noticed that at the time when the line dropped, the downstream SNR margin dropped to under 4db.  It remained at this level until I rebooted the router.  After a reboot, the line re-sync'd at a lower value so that the SNR margin could remain at a higher value.  It was my understanding though that the router should be making these changes seamlessly without causing me to have to reboot the router.  So after a week or so of testing at PN's end, my mate had a breakthrough with PN support.  they did the following:
[INTERNAL]
15 - SNR Change & Interleaving ON
When I asked them to do the same to my account, I also had a much more stable line.  Since the 25th April my line has been the most stable it has ever been since I moved to 8MB ADSL.  Ok, when I'm playing online games, I now get pings 20ms higher than before, but it's nothing that makes any difference to the way I play!!  Grin Grin  (Badly!!!) Grin
I'd suggest asking support to do the same on your account and see if you have any success.
Hope that info might help, and if not, then I just rambled on for nothing. lol!  Wink Wink Wink Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cheers
Adrian
reflexion
Dabbler

I have just had a similar problem with a new referal that took 5 weeks to activate as the process had stalled? after second stall I was p1ss3d, so you dont want to refer anybody when they can get the same crap service from talktalk etc. When you recommend somebody you are the first port of call - not PN? and at 25p a month, I might as well be working in an indian call centre.
Mark
Grafter

Hi all.
I am happy to look into any of the individual issues whaich have arisen here and provide an explaination of what occurred.
If you would like to drop me a PM with usernames / ticket id's I'll be happy to help.
James
Grafter

Hi Guys,
I manage both the Customer Services and the Provisioning Teams here at PlusNet and I think that allows me to offer some information and hop in the situation.
Regarding the Provisioning delays.  We do always advise when we believe that the order will complete but unfortunately problems do not always arise, which means that the customer needs to contact us to inform us that the order hasn't gone through as planned.  We do use automated system to tell us when activations are complete, but this does not always inform us and we would be unable to manually check the status of every order as this would considerably increase staffing costs within the Provisioning Team.  Having said that I'm happy to look into any specific issues.
From a Customer Services perspective, we're doing what we've imaginatively called "Welcome Calls" whereby, funnily enough, we've been calling customers and welcoming them to PlusNet.  Now, we can't do this for everyone as we need to also ensure that our customers are able to contact us by phone, but we hope to welcome a large number of customers which will also help us to identify a number of issues, should they be experiencing any.
arlehaven
Grafter

Experience of referring

Hello everyone.
I have been a referer for many years both through business and personal referals. Why have I refered Plusnet?
Well it has been my experience that Plusnet have been the most "Open & Honest" ISP that I have ever come accross and I have dealt with many.  Yes they have had their problems but they are quick to admit them and quick in most cases to resolve them. We are usually told exactly what is going on and when it is going on. Very few ISP's post this kind of information.
As a "referer" when a friend, family member, neighbour or business contacts me with a problem I can usually log on to the portal check for problem issues, if necessary follow it up with a question to support and resolve their query quickly. I have never been able to do this with any other ISP.
To this end I have no problem reccomending Plusnet..... However we all have are gripes and I have read quite a few in these threads, some worthy and some not, but I do hope the Plusnet team take them on board.
Plusnet should remember that we as referers are valued customers, referals are what grows the customer base. I said earlier that I have no problem refering Plusnet but please give us the tools and the products that we can refer knowing that the new customer is going to be a happy customer and not have them coming back at us shouting and roaring for refering them in the first place.
Lets remember that as the referer we are the first point of contact the customer has before they considder contacting support. We get it in the neck first "well you told me to join Plusnet". We basically are the frontline soldiers who in a lot of cases shield the Customer Support Team from an onslaught of wrath when things go wrong.
I thankfully have refered many, who are happy customers  Smiley but Plusnet,
please look at the basic issues to help us refer an excellent product, not a product that stumbles at the first hurdle.... The delivery and connection of the product.
This is the first contact a potential customer has with Plusnet, it needs to go smoothly, the new customer needs to be confident in the product they have signed up for. I have had few problems in the past and more recently no problems with new connections but I have encountered problems with hardware ordered as part of the customers new package. It is a problem and basically a stumble at the first hurdle when a new customer has a connection but no hardware with which to connect and in some cases waits two weeks to receive it.
Who gets shouted at when the hardware dosn't arrive..... you got it, The referer. It's always our fault.
Tidy up the basics and give us the products that we can rely on 100% and have faith in so that we can continue refering.
As I said previously most of my referal customers are happy ones..... lets get a few more, Plusnet will make their money and of course the important bit we the referers will get our wee wack.
Keep up the good work, but make it work.  Smiley