cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Customer Email offer for Fibre - A few questions please.

FIXED
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

Existing Customer Email offer for Fibre - A few questions please.

good evening.

I'm a PlusNet customer of 10+ years. my current broadband is ADSL up to 8mb. I've toyed with the idea of Fibre previously but the increased cost has put me off as I never saw the benefit based on my use.

anyway. I have received an offer for Fibre and landline, combined with caller display becoming "free" the total cost is around what I am paying now so think the time is right to upgrade.

1. will any work have to be done within my property boundary and even in my home?

2. my router is a very old speedtouch 585 that has served me very well. I assume this is no good for Fibre?

3. the PlusNet supplied router is decent enough for a novice? is it literally a matter of swapping it out for the old speedtouch? connection of wires to/from router just the same?

4. will my IP remain dynamic? (I require this).

5. will I retain my £1.25 RaF monthly bonus?

6. finally, signal strength. I would like to use a wifi product in a certain location but currently the signal in that area is too weak. does Fibre/new router inprove this situation?

thanks so much for reading.

26 REPLIES 26
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Existing Customer Email offer for Fibre - A few questions please.

Fix
Evening @monkeyexpressPF

First of all thanks for your loyalty. Smiley

Fibre upgrades are what’s known as ‘self install’ nowadays so the required work should just be completed externally at the cabinet (The green box in your street) and you’ll need to setup your fibre router yourself (Ideally into the master telephone socket).

Unfortunately the Speedtouch 585 won’t be compatible with fibre but we’d offer to send you a free Hub One as part of the upgrade (I believe we may charge a postage fee of £6.99 though).

The router we’d provide is fairly straightforward to setup and I’d expect the connections to be similar to the one you’ve got now. As well as our handy router setup guides which should help walk you through the setup process we’re happy to help over here if you need any assistance.

The guides can be find here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Your external IP address would remain dynamic unless you want a static IP (Which costs a one off fee of £5).

The upgrade will also have no effect on your referrals so they’ll remain as they are.

Whilst having fibre is unlikely to change the wireless signal strength from your router to your devices, the router would have more up to date WiFi technology than your Speedtouch 585 so it may prove to be better.

I hope this helps.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

fantastic, thank you. heading over to upgrade now.

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

all done. I've been given an upgrade date of 12/4 for the Fibre. on that day if I don't have the router (ordered the PlusNet one) will I have no internet? should the router be here in time?

thanks again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all.

I've been given an upgrade date of 12/4 for the Fibre. on that day if I don't have the router (ordered the PlusNet one) will I have no internet? should the router be here in time?

Yes and yes. I can see our suppliers have delayed your fibre order due to engineer availability.

It's due to complete on the 20th. I'd recommend setting up your router beforehand. That way you'll be able to swap back to your previous router to access to the internet if you have any problems setting it up (Unless you have mobile data).

The router should automatically be dispatched 48 hours before the upgrade but I've started the process now manually so you'll receive it a lot sooner.

On the day of your upgrade you'll receive an automated e-mail to advise the product change is complete but the actual work should be carried out during normal business hours - there might be a few hours loss of service whilst it happens.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

thank you.

a bit disappointing on the date change but that's ok. I have been reading some of the stories on here about upgrades and hope I don't join the list, I am also aware that negative experiences are reported much more often than positive so fingers crossed.

you told me my speedtouch 585 wont work on fibre but does the new router you are sending work on both? ie. once I get it can I use it for my ADSL connection up to switch date and then for my Fibre connection once up and running?

thank you.

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

also....I now have an email giving the 20/4 date. it states there is a ticket number. should I be able to see the details of that ticket on my account so I can track it for updates or will it not show as I didn't start that ticket?

thanks again.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@monkeyexpressPF

Plusnet will send you a Hub One which is 100% compatiable with ADSL and FTTC.

The guide to the router can be found here if you fancy getting to know about it before it arrives. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

Just click on the picture of the Hub One for help.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero

And the link to search your tickets is https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search  (login required)

That one is well worth bookmarking Smiley

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

thank you. I am not too techie but I do like a bit of a fiddle now and again.

I regularly mess with my routers on a once every 10 year basis. Cheesy

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

yes, thank you. I had found that page but no open tickets showing. I assumed it was because its simply an information email with a ticket number telling me the date of the updgrade - or maybe it will appear later.

time to sit tight and be patient now.

thanks again.

SpendLessTime
Hero

It may be a closed ticket as it is for informational purposes only, but like you I would have expected to see an open ticket for the complete installation.

Perhaps @Gandalf can clarify?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry about the delay with your upgrade.
When we place the order initially with our suppliers, we request it's activated to the minimum lead time of 5 working days. Unfortunately, depending on engineer resourcing in your local area, they can push it back.

As @SpendLessTime has advised you'll be able to use your new router for both ADSL and fibre. If you set the new router up beforehand, apart from some downtime, the switch-over should be seamless on the day.

Also the ticket is indeed closed. I just created it so I could send you an e-mail out to advise of the delay. Using that ticket link you should see be able to view it online by changing the selection option from Open to Closed tickets.

Once the upgrade date comes around our automated system should take care of the updates, but please do feel free to let us know over here if you have any issues at all and we'll be happy to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

the new router arrived today - super fast, thank you, but I am having an issue.

this is where it gets difficult because I don't know what terms to use to explain things.

basically it all seems fine, the blue light is on and my computer via Ethernet seems to say its connected but I cant use the internet...I just get an error page or it goes to the hubs settings homepage. I have attached a photo. if I try to connect anything via wifi it finds the hub but again wont access the net and just heads to the hubs settings homepage.

when I set it up a page came up and it asked something like "home network, work or public" - nothing in setup said this would happen so I checked home. with my old router connected now my connection is described in the little box in the taskbar as "network" with the new router it says "network 2".

the only thing I can think of and its on the photo, "broadband username" is showing as "setup@plusdsl.net" - shouldn't this be my own username? the setup instructions don't mention that it should be but seems odd to me.

any help appreciated.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It appears your router has the default Setup username still active. Normally this would automatically get changed when you connect it up, however there is a setting in the user section to turn that feature off.

If you know your username and password, clicking the disconnect button, the configure button - entering your usename and password - then clicking connect should get you online.

Or pehgaps somone can show the link to the area in the user section.