Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing Customer Deals

agavin
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Existing Customer Deals

I have been with Plusnet for almost a year now, and have been very happy with the service I have received.
I was tempted to join-up with their new customer offer of unlimited internet for £2.50 for the first year. That, with a discounted line rental for paying for the whole year up-front, gave me a great value phone and broadband package!
Now that my discounted price is about to end, I have been looking online for other deals. Finding many similarly priced new customer offers from providers such as BT, TalkTalk, Sky, etc... to that which I am currently on. And some lesser known companies, i.e. TenTel, offering telephone and broadband much cheaper.
Also, feeling the pinch of the bandwidth limitations of standard broadband when I'm playing online games, downloading from steam/PlayStation store, and the other-half is trying to stream from NetFlix in HD, etc... I thought that it may be a good move to go fibre.
With BT offering a new customers unlimited fibre broadband for £10 per month (just 1p more than the £9.99 I will soon be paying for standard broadband), with similar line rental charges for those paying up-front, as well as the BT Sports and a £50 Sainsburys gift card. I am pretty tempted to switch to BT.
But looking on this forum (i.e. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132559.0.html/ and http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118568.0.html/), and from guidance found on the Plusnet website; contact us, 'get instant answers to your questions'. I found that Plusnet do offer deals to existing customers, in a bid to maintain their loyalty. Which made me think that, although the BT perks are a nice bonus, I would be happy to stay with Plusnet/contract for a further 12/24 months if they could offer me a fibre broadband upgrade, for a similarly reduced price as BT's new customer reduction.
As I work pretty much every day, with a long commute, thus having almost no availability to make personal calls during the Plusnet call-center opening times. I was happy to see that the guidance found on the Plusnet website advised that I could gain help with this matter by speaking to the 'Plusnet chat team' online; image attached (I am able to send a quick e-mail or two, etc... while at work).
But upon chatting with someone on the Plusnet online chat, I was told that the information given on their website was incorrect/outdated, and that, although it used to be possible to discuss/sort such matters over the online chat; 'disscontinued due to high traffic', the only way to discuss this matter woud be by ringing the 'customer options team'. Which I would find difficult to do within their operating hours.
Feeling a little disgruntled regarding the miss-information, lack of comunication options and the principle that I cannot discuss/sort-out such matters without ringing someone (when I was able to enter into the contract/service, have the ability to upgrade, and could switch providers, without talking to a single person). I am writing here in a bid to get some advice/guidance/online contact information, to help with this matter, in an attempt to avoid having to switch away from Plusnet.
Thanks in advance for any help.
6 REPLIES 6
Blake
Grafter

Re: Existing Customer Deals

If am wrong on this one then someone feel free to correct me but i beleive the BT offer comes with a 20GB usage limit from the last advert i saw (reading the small print at the bottom) and from my mrs experience with BT a few years back,  extra usage is charged at £5 per GB so given you use your connection for some high bandwidth stuff I would personally bite the bullet and call COT on 0330 123 9197 and discuss a new deal, inconvenient as it may be to find the time to do it, it seems to me that it would be in your best interest to go down this route.
Also worth noting is that plusnet do price match rivals offers where needs be!
agavin
Dabbler

Firstly. Thanks for your responce.
The BT new customer deal is for unlimited fibre broadband, at £10 per month for the first year; http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/affiliate-packages-broadband-next/index.html?aff=uswi... (unsure if that link will work forever, as is a comparison found on Uswitch).
Beleive me, if it was easy/convenient to call Plusnet to discuss this, I already would have done. I understand that it is my choice to work long hours with a lengthy commute, but don't feel that I should be required to spend my few short breaks attempting to do this. And would likely not have time get through and fully discuss/sort this during one of my 15min breaks regardless.
I know it seems as though I work in some kind oppressive conditions, but my ability to multi-task some personal internet activity (such as typing this message) while at the desk, more than makes up for not being able to make/receive personal calls at work.
I obviously do get the odd day-off, and may try and call the next time I do. But of a matter of principle, I don't feel that someone should be required to call in order to discuss such matters, when there are other communication methods available to do so (online chat, etc...). The fact that Plusnets own website gives guidance that such things can be discussed online, as well as confirmation by the Plusnet chat staff I spoke with; that this was the case, before being suspended due to 'high traffic' (i.e. they are busy dealing with customers wanting out of there contracts due to the line rental increase). Such time, i beleive, could be split more effectively also helping the customers who would preffer to stay with Plusnet (it could easily have been sorted in the time it took for the Plusnet chat advisor to apologise and tell me that they were unable to help).
I think that the bottom line is a companys ability to make things convenient for the customer and meet their needs in order to do so. (i.e. just as I was able to switch from my old provider to Plusnet without talking to someone, I will be able to switch away from Plusnet the same; getting the abovesaid new customer deal). Thus I feel that Plusnet should offer customers to discuss such matters using the medium convenitnet for them, regardless of the individual customers reasoning.
Apologies for the aparrent rant, but due to heavy work commitments I really value my free time; better spent with friends, family, etc... than ringing call centers. I was really hoping for a Plusnet staff member to be able to comment, offering me some guidance as to how I could discuss/sort this online, before I make the jump to BT.
Cheers!
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I understand it's not ideal to have to call in to discuss this, but if it gives you any more hope I've noticed the wait time to get through to COT has been down at a couple of minutes every time I've checked over the past few days (Not to say that it hasn't been higher, but the highest I've seen it has been 5 minutes)
The number Blake has provided is correct, however 0800 013 2632 also works and should be free from landlines and mobiles now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
agavin
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.
I take it that you are confirming that there is literally no other form of communication offered by yourselves to sort this out, other than telephone?
As I said, I will probably attempt to call the next chance I get during your call centre hours. But I have no idea when I will be able to do so (8 days until my next day off, and don't want to be clocking back into work late after a break or cutting a call short/leaving unsorted because it wasnt possible to sort during one of my short breaks).
I'm pretty much of the mind-set that, as such new customer deals do not last forever, if I am unable to sort something out before my contracted period ends (beginning of August), then I'll have to jump ship. In favour of the aformentioned new customer deal with BT.
Out of interest. The person I chatted with via your online chat stated that they were previously able to sort such matters out using the online chat, but it was susspended due to 'high traffic'. Was I correctly informed? and if so do you have any idea when/if the dealings of such matters over the online chat will be re-introduced?
From looking on the forums I can see that things are likely to be a little hectic, due to people having issue with the line rental increase, but I would have thought that would make Plusnet more flexible to cater for those who are clearly looking for a reason to stay with yourselves.
Regards.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately at the moment calling in is the only real option  Undecided if it's any better for you, COT are here Saturdays 9am-7pm and Sundays 9am-6pm, however I appreciate this may not make any difference if your next day off is still a week away.
We did previously trial a webchat COT team, however the team were taking both chats and calls. The high traffic mentioned was on calls so the trial was suspended so the team could concentrate on the area that had the higher traffic.
It's in the pipeline to bring COT webchats back, however I've not been given a timescale as to when exactly this will happen.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
agavin
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.
I guess that I'll just hope that I get chance to call the customer options team before my contract runs out next month. And obviously, if I am unable/have no luck if I am, then I'll switch in favour of a new customer deal.
If you do hear anything about the customer options online chat being re-introduced please let me know. Otherwise, thanks again for your guidance.
Regards.