cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending Broadband Completely - A Question

judkins

Ending Broadband Completely - A Question

I haven't really used my broadband account for about 3 or 4 months now. I've also decided to get rid of my BT line altogether as they have been pretty useless at sending me out bills and as you can't pay over the phone to them anymore it means waiting for someone to be savvy enough to realise that when I call them *again* for a bill so I can pay, that I need it. I've been cut off countless times because of it so would rather just go without.
The help I am asking for is that I want to cancel my Plusnet account completely. I'm not using it, and the phone line will be gone so I won't be able to have broadband anyway. I can't get through on the phone for advise, so after checking online I've seen all kinds of comments about people complaining that it's cost them anything from £25 to £100+ to cancel. Is this going to happen to me too?
If I did ever decide to get a bb account again, it would be with Plusnet as I've had very good service with them. I'm assuming my referral bonuses would no longer apply if I did come back though.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Ending Broadband Completely - A Question

Hi judkins,
I've checked your account and there would be a cessation fee of £25 applicable plus the usual 10 days notice.
As the name implies the fee relates to the cost of cutting the broadband service off altogether. The fee does not apply if moving to another ISP through a process called migration.
I'm assuming my referral bonuses would no longer apply if I did come back though.

If this did happen we can re-instate the referrals if you decided to resurrect the same account rather than start a new one. This can be done but you'd need to speak to support rather than sign up through our website. That is assuming of course that the referrals are still paying customers of ours at that point.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
judkins

Thank you for the prompt reply Adam. I've tried to get through to cancel many times today and can't get a better waiting time than over 20 minutes. I can't hold a phone for more than 3-4 minutes so can't stay on hold for that long. Ah well, I'll keep trying.
zubel
Community Veteran

If you do decide to cancel, you should ask to downgrade your account to a free PAYG account.
Unless things have changed, your referrals will continue to accrue against that account until they reach the princely sum of £5.00, at which point they will be disbursed directly into your bank account via BACS (assuming you have your bank details set up to receive referral payments on your account).
B.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry to hear that your finding it hard to get through by phone.  It is also possible to request cancellation by letter. If you do this it's worth noting that we take the notice period as beginning from the date that the letter was sent.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Downgrading to dialup PAYG will also keep your email address live - you'd be able to access it via Webmail (e.g. in a library) or if you have access to a machine connected to another ISP. Although you could send mail using webmail you would not be able to use relay.plus.net from another machine.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)