Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Contract and Action Date Rules

FIXED
Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

End of Contract and Action Date Rules

I am confused. I thought that I understood the situation last year but I understand that things have changed so here we go again.

My Plusnet contract ends soon - as an example lets say 31st March 2022.

My Plusnet contract says I need to give 14 days notice although Ofcom advise against telling the old supplier.

Ofcom says transfers now normally take 10 days.

Other broadband suppliers do not always give a choice of transfer date.

Adding all that together when can I start a transfer without invoking penalties?

1. 17 March (14 days before contract end),

2. 21st March (10 days) or

3. 31st March (the actual contract end date).

Should I tell Plusnet or follow Ofcom advise and just deal with the new provider?

If this is explained anywhere I cannot find it!

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: End of Contract and Action Date Rules

If you want to avoid early termination fees I would suggest contacting your intended new supplier around 14  working days before your contract ends. They will inform Plusnet - you don't under the Gaining Provider Led rules that apply to transfers, and providing everything goes to plan and you are merely transferring like for like you should find your transfer happens within the transfer window.

The possible problem could be that BTOR don't have engineer availability on the chosen date, but you would not lose connection until the day they do what they need to, which may mean you have a few days at 'out-of-contract' service from PN which will be charged accordingly on your final invoice.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Sleepboot 

What you should remember is that you pay a month in advance. Consequently the ‘termination fee’ for leaving in the last month is in fact not a bill that you have to pay, but a reduction in the refund that you are due for the remaining days of your contract.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Fix

Hiya @Sleepboot, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm really sorry for the confusion, I can certainly understand why but would like to help clear this up for you.

- If you contact us and ask to cease your service, we require 14 days notice (minimum).

- If you are moving to another provider, we accept notice by their request to take over our line. In most cases, you will find that these orders will take 10-12 working days. This process will cease our service on the same day the new suppliers orders complete. 

I have provided more information specific to your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id= 222229421 but for the visibility of others, based on the date you have advised above, to avoid any termination fees at all the service would need to cease on or after the 31st March. With that being said, the termination fees within the last month or so of a contract are minimal.

It's also worth noting that we bill for the service for the month in advance and so if you've paid us for a full month and leave part way through a billing month, your final invoice would reflect that with a credit and so if there's a termination fee, it would go towards that.

Please let me know if you have any further queries at all.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Problem solved.

Thank you.