cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early cessation charge after over 4 years with PlusNet?

banksjulia

Early cessation charge after over 4 years with PlusNet?

My original contract with PlusNet started in Dec 2018, for 18 months. When that ended I was moved over to a new 24 months contract, which is due to end at the end of June. I am having issues with my PlusNet service though and am therefore thinking of leaving. However, I have been advised that if I go now I could incur early cessation charges. Is that really the case when I have far exceeded my original 18 month contract?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Early cessation charge after over 4 years with PlusNet?

@banksjulia It is true - you started a 24 month contract in June 20, which means you have 3 months remaining on your contract. The termination fees shouldn't be horrendous though.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@banksjulia  Welcome to the forum.

You have not explained your problem. If this is a network problem and you move to another ISP that uses the Openreach network then there is every possibility that the problem will just transfer with you.

Why not start again and explain your issue. No doubt we can advise and hopefully find a solution.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

banksjulia

No network or line issue, that has been ruled out by OpenReach, who also installed a new master switch box yesterday. However, my router still keeps crashing. It lost connection 3 times today for around 15 mins each time, which is no good for me as I work from home. I figure the only thing left to be causing the issue is the router itself, which is now over 4 years old as was the original one. But I was advised by PlusNet today that as it is out of warranty if it is the router then I would have to pay for any replacement ... so I figure move elsewhere and get a new one for free!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@banksjulia 

Intermittent network problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose. These are more likely than intermittent hub problems. A new master socket is regularly the first thing Openreach do to see if it will fix a problem.

If you can tell us whether you are on ADSL or fibre we can transfer this post onto a more appropriate board where this can be reviewed by a more experienced Plusnet staffer and hopefully move forward.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

banksjulia

I'm on fibre. Have never had any connection problems since being on fibre (except when a general BT outage in the area), but have had connection issues every day for the last week and a half now. Since yesterday every time it goes down I report it to the PlusNet tech bot and their line checks come back as no issues ... sometimes while my router is still offline. PlusNet have said they'll send out a "cube" (?) engineer, but said he won't be able to replace the router if it is that as they don't carry them. So I'm not sure what he'll actually be able to do! The issues are affecting my ability to do my job at a time when my job is really busy ... I just need working internet.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@banksjulia As a structured approach is required to attempt to solve this, a good point to start is (possibly) here:-

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

However, my router still keeps crashing. 

@banksjulia does the router event log contain any messages like 'Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @banksjulia, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry to hear that you're been having issues with your service. It looks like we've arranged a Qube engineer visit for tomorrow, so we'll wait until we can see the notes from that before suggesting anything. 

Either way I hope all goes well tomorrow. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds