cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early cancellation costs

Mark_g1
Grafter

Early cancellation costs

Hi, looking to leave Plusnet (after about 15 years). I dontu want or need a fixed phone line, I don't even have a phone plugged in (due to so many scam calls, something ofcom seem to not care about).

Whilst I do have a reasonable amount referral discounts, I can get FTTP offering for about the same as what I am paying currently, even with referral discounts,

I don't think plusnet or openreach offer FTTP in my area, it's being offered by a community provider.

How much will it cost me to leave my contract early?

If I ever come back, say BT offer FTTP down my street, do I get my referral discounts back, or aremthry done for good when I leave?

7 REPLIES 7
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Early cancellation costs

@Mark_g1 

"How much will it cost me to leave my contract early?"

I asked the same question just a few weeks ago, for a similar reason. My contract runs until December this year.

The answer from Plusnet, give or take a very small amount, amounted to the total cost of my outstanding contract.

In other words, multiply how much you are currently paying per month by the number of months left on your Plusnet contract, and you won't be too far out.

I did notice that the figure I was quoted did not seem to take in to account any allowance for the impending price rises in April, but I asked the question before the relevant inflation figure had been announced and Plusnet's % increase confirmed, so my cancellation figure might have changed by now - or might change in April?

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I heard that if you order FTTP from BT, Plusnet's parent company, PN may allow you to switch without penalty because they cannot provide it. Sorry can't find reference, maybe call to PN? But if you go mid-contract to another provider you're stuck for the cancellation charges.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Longliner if Plusnet can't provide FTTP then BT won't be able to either as they both use the Openreach network.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Mark_g1 

Have you checked what's available via OpenReach.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You'd be looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column.

You need to phone in to get a cancellation figure - they won't provide it online.

Brian

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Mark_g1 

Re early termination charges have you checked to see if these are set out in the email you would have been sent when you signed up for your current contract? I renewed recently and they are set out in that email and that also references the Plusnet price guide, 

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/

They are in the last section under each product category.

I my case the early termination charges set out in the email were considerably less than the monthly contract charge.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632 or 0800 079 1133(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Mark, I can get someone from COT to give you a call if you like so let me know if there's a preferred time and you want me to get that arranged. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team