cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early cancellation charge

timjim123

Early cancellation charge

I am trying to get in touch with the team 'Solutions Assist' but apparently they finish at 1pm.

My problem is as follows-

Ordered broadband package 25 July.
Router arrived 7 August.
Cancelled due to poor quality connection six days later on 13 August.
Now being charged £180 early cancellation fee.

I am now with a new provider and wifi is available all around the property unlike Plusnet. I believe this to be a problem with the Plusnet router.

The team i have spoken to so far have insisted that the early cancellation charge will stand.

Unfortunately i don't have this amount in my bank to cover the charge.
I'd be grateful if someone from the solutions assist team could get back to me as this is causing considerable stress.
7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Early cancellation charge

I'm sure one of the Help Team will be in touch, once I have requested this topic is moved to the correct board, but I am sorry to say what you have been told is correct.

If you cancelled outside the 14-day 'cooling-off' period for the reason given, without asking for help to resolve the issues - and it can be done, Plusnet have every right to hold you to the contract.

Never  heard of the 'Solutions Assist' team - where did you get that from?

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@timjim123 

Just to clarify, the contract that you agreed to advises that thr cooling off period of 14 days starts on the day after you signed up, not the 'go live' day.

What a pity you did not come here when you were first aware that the wireless performance was poor, rather than jumping ship, and we could have helped or at least advised of the folly of cancelling.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @timjim123, thank you for getting in touch. I am really sorry that you encountered issues with our service and have decided to leave us.

I have taken a further look into your account and what was discussed with you, providing a further response on this here for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id= 218136235

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bpdalexander
Hooked

I have a big issue with the cooling off period starting the day you sign.

Surely, the purpose of the cooling off period is to allow the customer to determine if the product does what is promised. This can only be determined when the router is received.

If I ordered a new car and received a pile of scrap metal after 15 days, I would expect a refund. I wouldn't expect to be told that because I ordered the car 14 days ago it's too late.

And surely the cooling off period is irrelevant if the service provided doesn't work or is off poor quality.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @bpdalexander, I have responded on your other post regarding your account.

With regards to the cooling off period, this isn't a period to trial the service and is instead time to review your terms and cancel should you change your mind. We provide details of your contract such as cost/ speeds expected etc and should you change your mind about what you agreed to, the 14 days is there for you. Should you have issues once the service is live, then from there would we assist to resolve these issues or any faults.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@bpdalexander wrote:

I have a big issue with the cooling off period starting the day you sign.

Surely, the purpose of the cooling off period is to allow the customer to determine if the product does what is promised.

The Consumer Contract Regulations specifically require that you're allowed to 'cool off' ie change your mind about ordering a service for 14 days after placing the order.

There are different regulations covering the quality of the service once it's been provided.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)