Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade Fibre without a new contract?

chickendippers
Grafter

Downgrade Fibre without a new contract?

Hi there,

My personal circumstances have changed and I may soon need to move house. As a result I am looking to save some pennies by downgrading my 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' package which I have had for 3 years to 'Unlimited Fibre' without starting any new contracts.

However I find Plusnet totally unsympathetic to this situation; I have been informed the only way I can downgrade is by entering a new 18 month contract. This is wholly unsuitable for me.

It is unacceptable that I should be required to start another contract just for Plusnet to press a button and change my line profile, especially as I served my 18 month contract long ago.

Neither can I switch my landline to a cheaper provider (Cooperative) as that would result in an extra £2.50/month 'broadband only' charge, thereby negating any potential savings I might make.

Was the Plusnet agent with whom I spoke correct; is there genuinely no way I can downgrade my fibre package without starting a new contract?

4 REPLIES 4
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Downgrade Fibre without a new contract?

Hello. Changing your broadband package does start a new contract unfortunately and we're not currently offering a no contract service on Fibre.
Sorry this isn't the news you were expecting. 😞
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chickendippers
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

Thanks for your reply. Is this something that retentions might be able to arrange?

I'd hate to leave PN after 3 years over a simple package change outside my contracted period. However BT, Virgin Media and Sky are at-least offering 12 month contracts which would suit my needs marginally better than PN's 18 months.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I've asked our retentions team who confirm that we only offer 18 or 24 contracts for Fibre. If you would like to call them to discuss it, their phone number is 0800 013 2632 (closed at the moment) but it's unlikely they'll be able to offer a no contract Fibre deal I'm afraid.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
chickendippers
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

That is disappointing news. Thanks for checking, I appreciate the effort.