cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double charged, cut off, account closed, no refund

ianandpip
Grafter

Double charged, cut off, account closed, no refund

In August, we paid for a new Plusnet package that included ‘Line Rental Saver’. In September, they billed us again for ‘Line Rental Saver’.

As advised by Plusnet, we submitted an indemnity claim to our bank for the 2nd payment, and in November they confirmed that ‘everything on your account looks fine and up to date’.

On 17 December, our broadband was blocked, and our phone diverted to the Plusnet billing department. We also received the following email: ‘We have been made aware by your Bank or Building Society that you have requested balances from previously paid invoices be returned to you via a Direct Debit Indemnity Claim. As a result, your services have now been restricted and you have incurred a call barring fee’

When we finally got through on the phone, Plusnet unblocked everything, and confirmed that the balance would be removed from our account.

On 18 December, our broadband and phone were cut off, and we received 7 threatening emails, including a ‘Notification of pending account closure’.

Plusnet confirmed that they had closed our account and disconnected our phone and broadband. They were unable to reopen our account and reconnect us, but had to set up a new account and wait for a connection from Openreach, which might take a week or longer.  We would receive a refund on the old account by cheque. Compensation was also mentioned.

On 19 December we got our phone back, but with a new number, so no one could call us.

We finally got our broadband back on 31 December, 2 weeks after we were first cut off.  Finally, on 2 January, we got our original phone number back.

At all times Plusnet, have admitted that the problems are their fault, but they have not contacted us to offer an apology, a refund or compensation.

On 3 January we complained to Plusnet by phone. We received a confirmation by email, and were advised that we would hear from them in 3 – 5 working days. It’s now more than a week since we phoned, and Plusnet still have not responded to our complaint.

36 REPLIES 36
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Double charged, cut off, account closed, no refund

Hi @ianandpip and welcome to the Community Forums. I'm sincerely sorry to hear of the issues you've had in regards to the Line Rental Saver charge being asked from you twice and the resulting account issues that followed as a result of this invoice. I'm also sorry to see how the resolution of this issue now your service is now back up and running has been handled and can assure you I've left appropriate feedback internally regarding processes that should have been followed. In regards the your raised complaint ticket on your account I have took a in-depth look into the account and responded to the ticket accordingly which can be accessed here:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186068998

By all means if you respond to the ticket please do give us a nudge on here and we'll happily get this picked up and actioned for you.

ianandpip
Grafter

Thanks for trying to sort this out. We have decided to wait for the first bill from the new account, which is due on the 19th, and check that all the details are correct before getting back to you.

ianandpip
Grafter

As promised, here is a status update on our old and new Plusnet accounts.

On Friday 18th January, we received an email with the following message:

‘I have now requested the removal of your account from the third-party Debt Collection Agency, and this will take 7-10 working days to action. You may receive contact in the interim, but please ignore this as we are in the process of having your balance removed.’

Can you please explain why our details have been passed to a Debt Collection Agency, and why it will take a further 7-10 days for them to be removed?

In your reply to our previous forum post on 13th January, you state:

‘I can see due to the incorrect Line Rental Saver Charge being on your September invoice there hasn't actually been any direct debits cleared for your monthly invoices from the time the invoice generated on 27/09/18 up until the account cease on 17/12/18. So although we haven't received payment for the 3 months or so service that was received your side I can confirm we won't be asking for this given the issues that occurred.’

We have checked our bank statements, and can confirm that we made payments on 28th August, 5th November and 4th December, i.e. 3 months.

We have entered the charges from the bills and payments into a spreadsheet, and we appear to be owed a small refund.  Can you please check the account, and confirm that the payments are in fact up to date?

We would like to thank [CSA Removed] for changing the phone number on our new account from the temporary number to our correct number yesterday. This means that we have now received confirmation of the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed on our new line.

Unfortunately, we have discovered that the incorrect broadband product was set up on the account, and the promotional discount was not applied, so the charges on the 19th January bill are incorrect. [CSA Removed] is in the process of sorting out the account, and hopefully our next bill on 19th February will be correct.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Post released from Spam filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Good morning @ianandpip,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. I appreciate your posts providing further information.

I have looked over your account in depth and updated your open complaint ticket. You can view it here.

If you reply via ticket please give us a nudge here so we can pick it up as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding with us during this time.

ianandpip
Grafter

Here is this week’s update on the issues that I have been experiencing with my account(s) since you double-charged me for Line Rental Saver last September.

On 23 January I received a letter from Plusnet telling me that my details had been passed to a Debt Collection Agency.

Can you please explain why you felt it necessary to take this action now, when on 17 December you confirmed by email (Question 185623463) that the issues with the account would be resolved within 24 hours?

Also, can you tell me when you will provide me with evidence that the account has now been removed from the Debt Collection Agency, and that Plusnet’s actions have not affected my credit rating in any way?

I can confirm that the package on the new account appears to have been corrected from Unlimited Broadband to Unlimited Fibre. However, there still appear to be issues with the contract:

‘My Products’ on the ‘Home’ screen still shows ‘Unlimited BB (Contracted)’.

The Contract End Date is supposed to have been amended, but I cannot confirm this as the bar showing the start and end dates is no longer displayed under ‘My Contract’ on the ‘Home’ screen.

The ‘Current Package’ box on the ‘Product Change’ screen shows a price of £15.99 for Unlimited Fibre, but the £10.99 Promotional Discount is missing.

The ‘Unlimited Fibre’ box on the same screen says I have 10 months left of a 12-month contract. I signed up to an 18-month contract starting in September 2018

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @ianandpip

Thank you for your update and I do apologise for the issues you have been experiencing.

I have checked over your accounts and as the details are specific I have responded on each account accordingly. To view the ticket on your old account please follow the link here

To view the ticket on your new account please follow the link here

If you have any further questions feel free to get back in touch.

ianandpip
Grafter

Thank you for updating ticket 186638598 and confirming that you have applied the promotional discount to the new account. Hopefully, the next bill on 19th February will now be correct. You also state that it will not be possible to correct the contract date until after the bill is generated on the 19th. I look forward to confirmation that this change has been actioned.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @ianandpip I can see you have responded to the ticket today, after receiving information in regards to your query.

Please let us know if there is anything further we can do to assist you. 

Many thanks. 

ianandpip
Grafter

It is now10:30 on February 20th, but the Next Bill Date is still showing as 19-Feb-2019, and no bill appears to have been generated. Can you please tell me when the February 19th bill will be available so I can check that it is correct?

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @ianandpip sorry to hear about this. I've taken a look at your account and updated you via the open support ticket on your account here

Kind Regards,

ianandpip
Grafter

I’ve just discovered that this update was posted on ticket 186638598 yesterday, February 20th:

‘no bill generated. placing on hold for further 2 days.
This Question is now on hold until Wednesday 27th February at 7:00am.’

That’s actually 7 days, not 2 days - which is correct?

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @ianandpip

Thanks for getting in touch and im sorry for any confusion.

I have responded via the ticket that you can access here

If you have abny further questions feel free to get in touch.

ianandpip
Grafter

I have now discovered yet another issue with my new Plusnet account. When I try to add the BT Sport app, the following message is displayed: ‘Unfortunately we are unable to add the BT Sport App onto your account. Please call on 0800 073 1120 and we will look into this for you.’

I cancelled my BT broadband and TV subscription and subscribed to Plusnet specifically because I am a MotoGP fan, and I can only watch MotoGP via BT Sport.  I only used BT TV to watch MotoGP, and the subscription had become far too expensive. At £5 a month, the BT Sport app On Plusnet is much better value.

Before Plusnet closed my original account and cut off my broadband last year, I had been casting MotoGP races to my TV via the app, and I would like this service back. The MotoGP season starts on 10th March, which is less than 2 weeks away, so I expect this problem to be fixed by then.

Can you please investigate and get back to me asap?