cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't upgrade to unlimited broadband or change anything

plusnetsting

Don't upgrade to unlimited broadband or change anything

Just in case anyone is thinking of upgrading to unlimited broadband - be careful.
I was happy to stay with plusnet but was finding that I was going over the 10gb limit every month or so.
I therefore changed my package to Unlimited broadband.
However I now find that they have reset my account to a further 12 month contract with a penalty for leaving. They keep very coy about informing you that they are in effect treating you as a new (dumb) user. It is quite hard to spt the trick. New users get all sorts of discounts etc and tempters.
So I feel this is devious sting and I won't be changing anything to do with my service in case they stuff me again. Any change to your phone may also tie you up for another year.

Beware.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't upgrade to unlimited broadband or change anything

You must have chosen the wrong upgrade option ?
On 'Unlimited' ADSL you can choose between either a "12 month contract" or "No annual contract", but the latter is more expensive !
The price will also be dependent on which 'Market' your BT exchange is in.
See pricing below -      (or look through this - http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html?source=legals)
elkieluca
Grafter

They told me about it.  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is also shown in the "Member Centre" when you select "Product Change" when you upgrade,
See picture below for what is shown as available upgrades for me (on Market 1 exchange) -
Embarrassed
plusnetsting

Just to clarify. My complaint is:
I am on a 12 month contract already, with say one month to go. I occasionally go over the download limit so decide to change to unlimited. Plusnet does this but AFTER the event it turns out I am now committed for a further 12 month contract. Ie they tret you as anew customer (but of course without any offers).
If you look at the screenshot when you change your package, it says only Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted) but I am ALREADY on a contract so it is not unreasonable to read this as confirmation that you are still on a contract. It doesn't say this will start you on a NEW contract and which will penalise you if you leave.
There is no mention of this in their price list.
They don't confirm that they are changing your package until the next bill date (which could we weeks after your request). Then they send you this:
Your product change is now complete, here are the details:
Your Plusnet account details
------------------------------
Broadband Product: Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted)
Estimated speed: 1.5 Mbps
This is an estimate of the line speed you'll get.
Read about why your actual speed might vary from this estimate -
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/high-speed.shtml

No mention that this is a new contract.
Adding insult to injury if you do go over your limit they send you this:
Upgrade your usage
==================
If you're often exceeding your usage allowance, why not upgrade your account?
With Plusnet Extra you can increase your monthly allowance to 60GB per month.
Upgrade today - https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html

Again no mention that it will be a new contract and that you lose any discounts you are getting.
I expect most ISP try this sort of trick but I was hoping that Plusnet dealt with customers honestly and openly. Now I am afraid if I change my email address or anything they will sting me for another contract.
Sharp practice and not good.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just gone through the upgrade route from Value and this is what I saw
Look under Unlimited Contracted - what does it say - 12 month contract save £2.50 per month compared to 'no contract' option
With respect to your last point - that is correct in that there was no 12 month contract but that was before the new products came out - note the 60GB limit stated
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It seems reasonable to me to assume that when following an upgrade path tailored to the specific user - it highlights "your current product" - and two seemingly identical products are offered but with different titles the choice will be significant. One described as 'no contract' costs £2.50 more than the other described as 'contracted'.
The system must know ones current status* so wouldn't offer the 'no contract' option if it didn't apply. Hence choosing the 'contracted' option must involve a contract and the duration of that contract is stated. One should not be making assumptions, if it isn't clear ask. I don't see any grounds for complaint with this process.
* If I try to change my current Unlimited (Contracted) product, which still has 8 months to run, I am not offered a 'no contract' option because it isn't available to me - see attachment.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry you feel that way plusnetsting
The need to recontract should have made clear before you made the decision to change account types.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team