cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it really take more than 2-3 weeks to set up a new Plusnet account?

NorthRiding
Grafter

Does it really take more than 2-3 weeks to set up a new Plusnet account?

Find it hard to believe in this day and age, that it is going to take more than 2-3 weeks for PN to setup my Homephone, despatch my router etc and eventually  I will be able to connect to Broadband.
The line is there, the previous service has been removed already (much to the disgust of the previous owner - taken away before they left...................) and PN have taken the money ie LRS and the first months payment etc.
I assume that the actual start date of the 12 months contract will be the day the phone/broadband is activated. I have already paid £170+ (LRS upfront+charges) which I assume will start on the day it is all set up?
Why does it take so long? Is it technically so difficult? Would it be just the same with BT?
9 REPLIES 9
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Does it really take more than 2-3 weeks to set up a new Plusnet account?

It depends on the circumstances, the state of the line, if it's a brand new install, how the initial payment is made etc.
If we're just switching a line on, then the phone can generally be switched on the same day. Broadband would then take about a week to activate. Of course, being the Easter Weekend, this can delay matters.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthRiding
Grafter

As far as I know the state of the line is good (it was working last week with the previous owner), it's not a brand new install (been there for years) and I have paid by debit card which was already taken by PN. I understand about Easter but I have just had an email saying that it is scheduled to be activated on 20 April with the BB following shortly thereafter. That is 2 weeks after the end of Easter so why should it be so long?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

In some areas exchange lines are in such short supply that as soon as one is ceased, it is reused for another subscriber.  If the phone line has no dial tone then there is a fair chance that the circuit between the local cabinet and the exchange has been reallocated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Beat me to it Townman.  Wink
Lift your receiver, check for dial tone and if present dial 17070 which will tell you what number is allocated.
If you get a number call it from a mobile to see if it rings. Also let PN know.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've not been able to find your account - if you could pm me (or MattyC) we'll get this investigated for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I'll be around until 7:30pm so this may be best sent to me if you respond this evening Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
NorthRiding
Grafter

Thanks Matty, pm sent this minute.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks for passing the account details on.
Right, Kevin (AKA Townman) has hit the nail on the head.
However, I think line must have been ceased pretty recently. When you first signed up with us, it seemed to reflect that there was a working line at the property. As a result, we'd have placed a takeover order that would have taken two weeks.
Why two weeks? Partly as a defence mechanism to ensure that we don't erroneously take over other people's lines. Two weeks is enough time for the existing provider to send a letter out to their current customer saying something along the lines of "are you sure that this is correct?" This process is heavily debated, and I am in agreement with a certain well respected owner of another ISP on what I feel the best process is (am I allowed to say that?  ;D).
However
In the meantime, the line in your property has been fully ceased by the old supplier and this has happened:
Quote from: Townman
In some areas exchange lines are in such short supply that as soon as one is ceased, it is reused for another subscriber.  If the phone line has no dial tone then there is a fair chance that the circuit between the local cabinet and the exchange has been reallocated.

As a result, we are in the unfortunate position where we have had to request the installation of a fresh new line. This was actioned today, but we are still waiting on Openreach to come back with a firm date. The Bank Holidays aren't helping.
So to bluntly answer your question; yes, it takes that long. However, I hope that this at least provides an insight as the why it takes that long.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
NorthRiding
Grafter

Excellent information, thanks very much for taking the time to sort that for me.
I'll wait and see what happens but at least I know that it is in hand.
Have a good weekend when you eventually get there.......................
Cheers