cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plusnet provide fibre as soon as exchange is upgraded?

leehowarth
Grafter

Do Plusnet provide fibre as soon as exchange is upgraded?

Hi
I'm an ADSL customer in New Whittington chesterfield (SLOLD), my exchange is having fibre installed at the moment and BT have confirmed by email my cab will be ready in the next few months.
My question is how soon can plusnet provide the fibre service after BT can provide Infinity? If I go on the BT Infinity availability checker it gives my estimated fibre speed and lets me register my interest, Plusnet's checker gives no such indication.
This seems to put other ISP's at a disadvantage as i'm sure it will drive customers to the BT Infinity package.
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Do Plusnet provide fibre as soon as exchange is upgraded?

The day that http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome shows it being available is the day you can order FTTC from Plusnet. It will be the same day as Infinity can be ordered.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Routefinder
Grafter

An interesting question?
However, how well does BT Infinity rollout reconcile with the BDUK initative???
According to the Infinity website my exchange is not in their rollout plans however the local BDUK initiative for Surrey is in progress in that the FTTC cabinets are currently being installed by Openreach though my PCP cabinet has yet to get the treatment. I read on the BDUK website that once 10 FTTC are installed "they" inform the ISP's to offer the service.
Now what is not clear is when Openreach will make the FTTC cabinets active/live.......................................so I surmise they only let the ISP's know once the 10 FTTC are read for use.  For the record so far in my locale I have counted 6 FTTC cabinets within my immediate 'area' but the exchange covers I think that much more geographically that I have not driven round the ones I ma aware of are either in or being placed but there may be more associated with the exchange that I have yet to have spotted???
So back to my question but more about the BDUK, just when will PlusNet expect to get informed assuming the 10 figure is right???
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just down the road from me in Eckington - shame i'm exchange fed Cry
@Routefinder
Some aspects of Openreach's fibre rollout are in line with BDUK plans but some of it is commercially driven. Sometimes exchanges are available for fibre orders before the official switch-on date, others are later.
@leehowarth
Your line isn't showing available yet, I *think* product change tool will show you through the member centre when fibre's available.
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Ben
Well it seems that I will have to keep an eye on local progress and whether/when I can hear fans running in any FTTC boxes :lol:  Once it is obvious I will ask if PlusNet know about it Huh
leehowarth
Grafter

@routefinder
Look on roadworks.org and look under your postcaode, you can see the planning notice for your area, the cab upgrades will be obvious.
Also if you email nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk they are very helpful and will give you an indication of when you will get fibre.
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Lee
Thanks for the pointer re roadworks.org I am already keeping an eye on that one but it seems to only "announce" 'works start dates' about 5 days ahead.
The BDUK for Surrey website tells me I will get Fibre by the end of the year................I surmise this is backstop date because as far as I understood the BDUK re Surrey says all Surrey "will have it by the end of 2013...." just a tad vague as I am seeing such activity on the ground now Smiley
I think I will email the link you posted and see if that gives an encouragingly more positive insight  Grin Cool