cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to return my old router if I cancel my account?

laurent
Hooked

Do I need to return my old router if I cancel my account?

I have recently cancelled my account over the phone and the rep didn't mention whether I need to return the router. I know it's an old model that they don't make anymore.

According to this page it's not needed, but I seem to remember having read elsewhere that I actually need to return it or they'll charge me for it.

Any idea?

21 REPLIES 21
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Do I need to return my old router if I cancel my account?

@laurent You don't NEED to return it, but it will not work with other ISP's, so it is redundant and merely more rubbish to be disposed of - properly - which Plusnet will do if you return it to them, as detailed on that page.

What you have probably read applies, IIRC, to routers supplied to BT Broadband customers.

John
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'd also recommend doing a hardware reset to factory defaults before the device is consigned to the recycling stream.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@jab1 wrote:

@laurent You don't NEED to return it, but it will not work with other ISP's, so it is redundant and merely more rubbish to be disposed of - properly - which Plusnet will do if you return it to them, as detailed on that page.

What you have probably read applies, IIRC, to routers supplied to BT Broadband customers.

As far as I recall all Plusnet supplied routers are capable of manual configuration of the WAN account setting and thus could be used with other ISPs.  That said some ISPs only autoconfigure their own routers, so one might not have the information required to reuse.

Plusnet have changed their T&Cs "from the 9th of February to indicate that the routers are now loaned equipment and must be returned when customers leave" or face a (Charge for not returning Hub/router ordered after 1st February 2024) £50 non-return fee.

Hub Two routers are shipped in packaging which clearly sets the expectation that the routers should be returned when leaving Plusnet (mine is an early trial Hub Two).  The recent update to the T&Cs now makes crystal clear that the routers are on loan and remain the property of Plusnet.

New T&C...

11.3. We will loan you the Hub/router for the duration of your broadband the service. When you end the service you must return the loaned Hub/router to us, or we will charge you a fee as set in the Price Guide. You must also keep the Hub/router in good condition while you are using it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

I received a Hub Two a few days after ordering a new line on 12th February. No mention of it being a loan anywhere at all obvious and no mention by the sales staff. 🤔

A quick look at the T's and C's I agreed to (and kept a copy of) ONLY mentions:

In section 2 "Equipment Plusnet Broadband Equipment Hub Two router"

11. Equipment
If you cancel during the 14-day cooling off period, you'll need to return any equipment provided. For more information on this
see section 10 of the Pre-Contract Information document above.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is all very new.  I'll add this feed back to the internal discussion thread.

Did your Hub Two box have a big "KEEP HOLD OF ME" 'sticker' top right of the bottom / back?

IMG_5277.jpg

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

@Townman I just looked at the Hub Two box and that logo is indeed there, never seen it before and it has no legal meaning.

I also just looked in the Setup Guide and found some wording (again not seen before) along the lines of "If you have a faulty router replaced or leave us we'll ask you to return the router". Fair enough, but again "asking" is not "requiring or there will be a penalty as agreed in your contract". 😮

To repeat, my contract (12th Feb 2024) does not say the router is on loan or that there is any penalty associated with not returning it, other than during the 14-day cooling-off period.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I have cited your feedback ... there seems to be room for improvement here!

HPsauce
Pro

Maybe they've changed the packaging in the last 3 or 4 weeks, but you said: "Hub Two routers are shipped in packaging which clearly sets the expectation that the routers should be returned when leaving Plusnet!"

A printed logo with writing in a circle (so effectively illegible) on the UNDERSIDE of the box fails totally to match that. Any lawyer or judge would just laugh at it!

You also said " The recent update to the T&Cs now makes crystal clear that the routers are on loan and remain the property of Plusnet.". Any idea when that actually took effect?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

No change to the packaging - mine is an early trials router.

I think that anything which encourages recycling is a positive move - I cannot see why one might want to retain an ISP's router as generally speaking they are not as functionally rich as those available off the shelf.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the business seeks to enforce the non-return fees.  I suspect that there are going to be a lot of logistical considerations (lost in transit etc) to be addressed ... issues which the super users have raised already.  Your case in interesting as it post-dates the policy change and (not being a lawyer) it looks a tad weak in its implementation

The feedback has been passed on - let's allow the business time to respond.

Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Did they respond?

You say that you cannot see why anyone would want to retain an old router. I use one as a wired signal booster in a part of our house that one router will not reach. Very useful & free.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Some would suggest that there are better WAPs available.

laurent
Hooked

Eventually I called them to be sure and they told me there's no need to return it. For information my router is from 2021 so it may be different if you have a more recent router.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@laurent There is 'no need' to return it, but what are you going to do with it?

John