cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a MAC number?

bellx15

Do I need a MAC number?

Two days ago I applied for a Plusnet broadband account, and during the 'switch from current provider' stage I was told that "Fortunately, you do not need a MAC number" (because my current provider is Virgin, apparently).
Then I got an email from Plusnet saying the next thing to do was to obtain my MAC number and call them to provide it. I phoned them to ask whether I needed one, and they said yes.
So then I phoned Virgin (Tesco) to ask for a MAC number and they said they would email it in 3 - 5 days.
Is all of this correct? I would appreciate some reassurance while I am waiting for the email.
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Do I need a MAC number?

If you are receiving your current broadband over a BT telephone line as opposed to a combined telephone/TV cable then yes, you do need a MAC. (You don't need one if you are currently on cable TV/phone/broadband)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bellx15

I see - thanks.
So does it usually take 3 - 5 days to get a MAC number?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

OFCOM rules state a maximum of 5, most companies as a policy delay for as long as possible and aim to take the full 5 in the hope that you will change your mind.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
It looks like you're on Virgin ADSL, so you will need a MAC. The requirement is that this needs to be provided within 5 working days (an Ofcom rule).