cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I move my phone line to PlusNet or my FTTC to BT?

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Do I move my phone line to PlusNet or my FTTC to BT?

@Mods - please move if in an inappropriate forum, thanks.
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm keen to get a sport and TV package. The only way I can get it from PlusNet is to have my line rental with them, but I've just started a new contract with BT. I'm trying to cancel it...
I thought my PlusNet FTTC was in the latter half of a two year contract, but my account does not show that, or a cancellation charge come to that. Too late to call in, and chat closed at 9pm...
Can a staff member please check my account to see (a) if I am still in contract, and if so (b) how much I would have to pay if I moved to BT?
I'd like to get this confirmed to help in my negotiations with BT.
I like my PlusNet FTTC, despite the loss of a great deal of headline speed since it was activated in May last year. I also like the static IP address, this forum, and UK based support, Oh, and the discounted price I negotiated for 24 months. And the referral scheme. I can, if I am able to transfer my line rental to PlusNet, add the TV package for a few quid more a month.
Against that, BT have told me that if I move my Broadband to them, they will pay any cancellation / contract charges, I'll get whatever the current new customer offer(s) are, and have the TV and sport included. For free. The free BT WiFi hotspot access. More speed? Doubt it - same hardware, same copper, etc.
What to do?
10 REPLIES 10
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Do I move my phone line to PlusNet or my FTTC to BT?

Well it's not right of me to answer on what you should do, though I can confirm that you are out of contract at the moment. If you migrate to BT, there should be no charge.
Hope this helps.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Obviously being out of contract means moving your FTTC service to BT is a free option. From BT's point of view that also means no compensation charge for transferring to them. On this basis will they increase their incentive to you?
Of course if you are willing to move your phone to Plusnet you are ideally placed to negotiate a good package deal with the Customer Options Team.
It's not an easy decision. Tongue
David
David
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I've had confirmation from the BT Customer Care team that they are going to cancel and put me back on my previous out-of-contract service.
Once my account shows this, I'll be on the phone to COT.
Cool
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I hope the COT "do you proud". Grin
David
David
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Ditto  Cool
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Did they?
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I had the same dilemma, and did get a reasonable deal ( I am on a  Market 1 exchange) as Plusnet matched BT's offer although  did need to take out 18 months not BT's 12.
BUT make very sure that they order the Broadband install and only when it completes order the phone switch. For me (see another thread) they ordered fibre and phone together - so 14 days wait to switch the phone, then they had to reorder the fibre broadband - producing another two week wait for an engineer visit, and only then can I order the TV - so probably best part of another week for the box to be delivered. Five weeks end to end.
A neighbor in the same position who went the other way got his fibre in less than two weeks - HH through the post, plug it in when  ADSL disappeared - 39/9.5 speed.  He is also a sky customer, so the day he placed the order BT took his Sky card number, and BT TV appeared on his Sky box less than 24 hours later.
I'm still waiting. Cry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@wisty
Did you get 40/10 Fibre or 40/2? I assume your neighbour got 40/10.
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Don't actually know - I am still waiting for the due date (next Wednesday). My assumption is that I will be getting 40/2.
As I am currently on 6/0.35 I will be getting about x6 the speed both ways - so I will wait and see....
If I find 40/2 restrictive I will see if I can simply upgrade top 80/20 by paying the difference (£5/month) on top of the deal I have.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi Wisty,
Yeah your order is committed for the 21/10/2015 between 8am - 1pm. If you do find it restrictive then by all means you can simply upgrade to the 80/20 service and you can do this by simply calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 and they will be more than happy to help.