cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I get charged a cessation fee if moving to a new ISP?

FIXED
DaniW
Dabbler

Do I get charged a cessation fee if moving to a new ISP?

Hello,

My current deal/discount ends on the 08th of November this year and I am currently weighing my options on whether to stay with Plusnet or switching to another ISP. One thing that makes me worried is the £30 cessation fee, which is currently active in my account summary. Will I get charged this fee if I am to switch to another provider, for example Sky or TalkTalk? It is clear that moving to Virgin will incur the charges, but it is unclear in the Ts & Cs if this is applicable to other ISPs. 

Lastly, my current contract started on 09/11/2017, so I assume the minimum term of the contract (12-months contract) would be until 08/11/2018. Does switching to another provider 2 weeks earlier than the minimum term of my contract would incur any other extra charges? 

Cheers,

Dani

11 REPLIES 11
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Do I get charged a cessation fee if moving to a new ISP?

@DaniW

The Cessation Fee is now no longer applicable according to Plusnet Staff . Please see the comment at https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Cessation-charge-quot-active-quot/m-p/1580255#M327511

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
DaniW
Dabbler

Hi @SpendLessTime,

Thank you for the link. Does this mean that I won't get charged when switching to another LLU operator like Sky and TalkTalk? Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero

@DaniW

Going by what the staff said on that post and others, I will say that there is no cessation fee period regardless of who you switch to.

Also staff member LaurenB says here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Leaving-PlusNet-Cessation-Fee/m-p/1570998#M32207

the £30 cease fee is actually no longer applicable, so please just disregard it. 

SpendLessTime
Hero

The Terms and Conditions don't mention any Cessation Fee either. All they mention is the Early Termination Fees if you leave within the minimum term of your contract

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi Dani.

To essentially echo what my colleagues have said on other thread, I'm happy to confirm that we don't charge a cessation fee anymore under any circumstances as of 1st September 2018.

If the switch to your new provider completes before your minimum term of your contract ends, then you'll be charged a pro-rata early termination fee worked out from Here.

That said, do you mind me asking if there's anything we can do to help keep you as a customer? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaniW
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Thank you for replying. So for the switch, in order to prevent the early termination charges, can I just move the activation date of the new broadband service from another ISP after 08/11/2018?

Regarding staying with Plusnet, I believe I will be paying close to £30 for 16 Mbps max speed internet after my current contract ends and I think it is too expensive. I am currently looking around and found that I can get fibre internet for a lot less than £30 (including line rental). Aside from that, I am looking for a maximum contract of 12 months, as I am moving abroad at the end of next year. I might consider staying if Plusnet can give me a deal with the requirements mentioned above. Thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So for the switch, in order to prevent the early termination charges, can I just move the activation date of the new broadband service from another ISP after 08/11/2018?

Yep that should do the trick.

Regarding staying with Plusnet, I believe I will be paying close to £30 for 16 Mbps max speed internet after my current contract ends and I think it is too expensive. I am currently looking around and found that I can get fibre internet for a lot less than £30 (including line rental). Aside from that, I am looking for a maximum contract of 12 months, as I am moving abroad at the end of next year. I might consider staying if Plusnet can give me a deal with the requirements mentioned above. Thank you

I'd recommend giving our customer options guys a call on 0800 013 2632 as i'm sure we'll be able to offer you a tempting deal on a 12 month contract. They're here until 8pm tonight, and back open at 8am tomorrow with normally very little wait time.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaniW
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush, I will give them a call and see if I can get a good deal!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, keep us posted!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaniW
Dabbler

Just to let you know, I decided to stay with Plusnet! I got a good deal which was as good as the one from other ISPs Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the update @DaniW and I'm glad to hear you're sticking with us Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet