cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed & feeling misled re: MAC code request

dnw

Disappointed & feeling misled re: MAC code request

I live at the end of a 4km line and have woeful connection speeds. I have been desperately awaiting FTTC to be enabled on my exchange (cabinet was put up in Oct) so that I could move to BT Infinity.
This has now finally happened and I called plus.net on Thursday to request a MAC code and explain the reasons for the move and that I was desperate to get the process moving. The agent informed me that plus.net was able to offer me FTTC, offered a reduction to match the BT cost and noted that I needed only to upgrade my account to FTTC through a link that would be provided. I was happy to stay on those grounds.
When I followed the link I realise that a) it is a trial and b) it is not monitored like a normal ticket and it can take two weeks before your request to begin the process of migrating to FTTC is even acknowledged. This compares to BT allowing me to book an installation immediately online.
Waiting weeks for tickets to go back and forward to even get an installation booked is not acceptable to me so I called back on Friday, spoke to an agent who promised to speak to the appropriate team and get my order through by end of the day. Nothing happened. I called again on Tuesday and was told the same thing, this agent even offered to put it on their own task lisk to get it done either by the end of the day or the next day. Still nothing happened.
Now, on Friday, 6 working days after the initial request, I called up again and politely explain that after 3 chances my patience has been exhausted and I would like the MAC code so I could go online with BT and book an installation.
The agent refused to move on the 5 days (I know they can) and stuck to the by-the-book answer of the request only officially being raised today and it taking up to 5 days to be generated by the supplier over which they have no control.
I feel this is very unfair - I requested a MAC on Friday last week, I was led to believe there was a viable alternative which I accepted but the time delay was not fully explained, I gave 3 chances since to rectify this, it did not happen and now I am being held to ransom for a further 5 days. This is especially inconvenient as I am due to go on holiday early next week where I will have intermittent net access, meaning I probably won't be able to receive the MAC or order the service for another 2-3 weeks.
I feel my approach was reasonable but I am very disappointed in plus.net and leave feeling misled.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Disappointed & feeling misled re: MAC code request

Contact OFCOM!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dnw,
Sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving but it looks like your initial contact resulted in you accepting a retention offer rather than requesting the MAC key? Therefore I'm afraid the 5 day wait from the 11th is correct.
If it helps at all we've checked the possible dates for fibre provision and could still arrange it for any weekday after the 28th Feb if that changes your mind?
dnw

Matt, YGPM.
I think I explained quite well above that  I accepted the retention offer only because it was not made clear to me that I would have to wait on the end of a low priority ticket for up to 2 weeks to even book the install.
dnw

Just posting back to say that after Matt's involvement this matter has been resolved to my total satisfaction. Faith (&business) restored!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's fantastic, thanks for letting us know Smiley Glad to hear it!