cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct debit date change

gregz86

Direct debit date change

Hiya,

I know this question has been asked a thousand times, but I thought I'd ask again as I can't see a recent answer on any other thread.

When will I be able to amend my Direct Debit date?

If I cannot do this in the next month or two, PlusNet will have unfortunately lost a customer. It's too much of an inconvenience to me to have one rouge DD coming out mid month, when everything else comes out on the 1st. 

Every other bill I have comes out on the 1st, after I have changed it from the original DD upon account set up.

I find it difficult to believe that such a mainstream telecoms provider does not have the ability to change billing dates. 

Thanks in advance

32 REPLIES 32
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Direct debit date change

Welcome to the community forums,

Being able to change your billing date is still a work in progress that should come with a brand new billing system. We currently don't know when it's expected to be implemented I'm afraid.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anoush wrote:

Being able to change your billing date is still a work in progress that should come with a brand new billing system. We currently don't know when it's expected to be implemented I'm afraid.

These words keep buzzing around in my head - just can't remember the tune?  

Currently 5+ years and still in gestation Crazy2

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Still working on that "new" billing system?

When it arrives, you will be able to call it the old billing system. Crazy3

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MikDundee
Hooked

I absolutely hate the fact you cant change the direct debit date. I'm genuinely considering leaving because you dont have this very basic functionality. Do you have a soloution to this? Is there actually any plans in the work to get it done or has it literally been requested for 5 years with no actual movement on the subject? 

If i leave you, then sign up again on a specifc day can I then get my DD changed to a specific date? 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@MikDundee wrote:

If i leave you, then sign up again on a specifc day can I then get my DD changed to a specific date? 

Your invoice date is based on when the first of your services goes live. For example, if you sign up with us and choose when your service goes live then your bill will be generated on this day the following month.

However, provisioning delays can sometimes happen, so the date you choose may not be the date your service goes live.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @MikDundee.

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving due to not being able to change your billing date. As I don't want to set any incorrect expectations regarding when this functionality can be expected, there is unfortunately nothing I can advise further to Anoush's post back in November.

If you were to start a new account, the billing date would be set as the day the first service goes active, however I wouldn't be able to give a 100% guarantee that you'd still get the requested date as orders wouldn't complete over weekends and there is always a small chance that a delay could occur on the order.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero

An averagely flexible company would be able to take a part month's payment, followed by an amended direct debit date.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I bet the new system won't be able to help me, I get paid four-weekly. Smiley

MikDundee
Hooked

It wouldn't even have to be that. I'd happily pay an extra month to get my DD changed to a date I want.

Fact is the contract will start and finish on the same date, shouldn't really make a difference when I make the payment as long as it's within the month.

I'm sure if they wanted they could ask... literally any other company who have a contract/bill/dd system.
MikDundee
Hooked

Ok. So theoretically, if I was to cancel and go internetless for a set number of days. Which date should I request my new 'go live' date to be in order to have a Direct Debit date of 1st-3rd of the month?

I know usually it tends to work that the direct debit comes out on the final due date of the last bill. Something like 20 days after the bill date?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Switch to a company that has more flexible arrangements: https://aa.net.uk/legal-billing.html

We have a sophisticated billing system which allows several customer options. Some of these may be selected when setting up an account. Some require you to contact our accounts department to change them.

The preferred billing option monthly Direct Debit.

Periodic billing

Some services are provided on an ongoing basis. For these you are billed periodically, normally in advance on the first day of the period covered by the bill. We can insist on calendar monthly bills if we wish, but this would normally be if we are having problems with your payments being made on-time. We can also invoice you several days before the period starts.

The following billing periods are available. They relate to all services on the account. We recommend monthly.

• Calendar monthly: Invoices are for the whole month from the 1st of each calendar month.
  • Four Weekly: Invoices cover a 4 week period, the exact starting week can be adjusted if required (e.g. to align with salary or benefit payments arriving). Prices are based on 23% of our monthly rates for each week billed.
  • Lunar monthly: Invoices are issued each full moon for the period to the day before the next full moon. Prices are based on 97% of our monthly rate for each lunar cycle. Yes, we really do this and we really have customers that use it.
  • Quarterly: Invoices are for Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, and Oct-Dec. We can adjust which month the quarter starts on if necessary. See note below.
  • Annually: Invoices are for the whole year from 1st Jan. We do not normally provide annual billing. We can adjust which month the year starts on if necessary. See note below.
Partial period bills

When a service starts or ends your bill may be for a partial period, e.g. 1.5 months, so as to align to the selected billing cycle. When working out how many months a period is, we work on whole days. Part days count as a whole day. For billing cycles based on calendar months, each day is considered as a part of its month - i.e. 1/28th or 1/29th of February. For billing based on weeks, each day or part is 1/7th of a week. For lunar billing, lunar months are considered 29 or 30 days based the full moon being the first day of the lunar month, and so each day is 1/29th or 1/30th of its lunar cycle.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@MikDundee wrote:
Fact is the contract will start and finish on the same date, shouldn't really make a difference when I make the payment as long as it's within the month.

I'm sure if they wanted they could ask... literally any other company who have a contract/bill/dd system.

It's just something that's not feasible with our current billing system I'm afraid.

@MikDundee wrote:
Ok. So theoretically, if I was to cancel and go internetless for a set number of days. Which date should I request my new 'go live' date to be in order to have a Direct Debit date of 1st-3rd of the month?

I know usually it tends to work that the direct debit comes out on the final due date of the last bill. Something like 20 days after the bill date?

Your billing date is set when the first of your services goes live, usually the phone service. When the direct debit is submitted on this date, the payment starts to leave your bank 3 working days after, as per the advance notice period.

There are variables to take into account, though. In an ideal world, If you request your go live date as the 29th and your order completes as expected with no provisioning delays, this should mean your payment starts to leave your bank on the 1st. This however is dependent on the processing time of the direct debit (usually 5 to 7 working days).

VileReynard
Hero

I'd like to try the lunar option. Cheesy

MikDundee
Hooked

Oh poo off selling your own company agenda. How are you a VET on here but poaching customers and flogging another company.