Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit failed email but cannot access my payment details on-line

pmsurman
Hooked

Direct Debit failed email but cannot access my payment details on-line

Hi,

I have just signed up to Plusnet from TalkTalk but am already having issues!

When I signed up a week ago I made the initial payment on a debit card and set up the direct debit using the account details from the exact same account that the initial payment was made. I have held this account for over 60 years so am pretty confident there is nothing wrong with my bank account?

I have now had an email stating that the "direct debit set up has failed" with a link to my payment details so that I can check and/or update these details.

Unfortunately, this link just takes me to an empty page and so does every single other link to my account details on your web site. How am I supposed to check the details you have tried to set up and update them if they are incorrect?

I do not use the telephone due to my age so rely on my account pages to manage everything.

How am I supposed to sort this out if your web site does not work?

Can anyone sort this out?

15 REPLIES 15
Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Direct Debit failed email but cannot access my payment details on-line

Try and set the direct debit up again, Maybe you entered the wrong details, we all make mistakes sometimes.

Hope you get it fixed

All the best

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @pmsurman

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to the Forum.

I am sorry to hear that you have had an issue setting up your direct debit, as mentioned by @Menace65 the first port of call in this instance would be to try to resubmit your direct debit instruction and allow up to 14 days to see if this progresses as expected.

If after this you are still having problems please let us know and we can take a further look into this for you.

pmsurman
Hooked

Hi Menace65,

Thanks for your reply and this is exactly what I thought, that I must have keyed in the Sort or Account code incorrectly but that is not the problem...

I would love to be able to access my payment/dd details and key them in again be but there is just nowhere to do this.
All of the links to my payment details on the web site just take me to a blank screen. There is nowhere to enter new dd details and believe me I've tried every single link on every account page on the site.

Regards
Pat

pmsurman
Hooked

Hi Warwick and thanks for your reply, but just as I have replied to Menace65, the issue is the fact that I cannot get to a payment screen in order to resubmit my Direct Debit details.
I am logged in and can find the order and set up details but when I try to go to the payments page I just get a blank screen.

If you have any other ideas they would be much appreciated.

Regards
Pat

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @pmsurman

I'm sorry to hear that you're coming up against a white screen when trying to access the billing pages. I would quickly run through the steps below and let me know how you get on.

- Firstly try clearing the cookies and cache for your web browser
- Try using an alternative web browser and see if this resolves the problem
- Try using a different device to access the site and see if this resolves the issue.

If you still need further assistance then feel free to get in touch.

Menace65
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@pmsurman 

I agree, when I click on manage account, all i get is connect to facebook [which I have blocked via my host file] I'm anti social media]]

And get a blank page, also to view my billing history, the website informs me, I have to have adobe reader installed, last time I used that was in 2001, you'd think they would use a PDF file, which can be opened in any modern day browser.

years ago, say 1999 I could knock up a website, using notepad [html and javescript]

Good luck to you.

pmsurman
Hooked

Ahhh! Those were the days Menace65.
The first program I ever wrote was on punch cards... but at least it worked!

All the best

Pat

pmsurman
Hooked

Hi Warwick,

I've cleared cookies and cache, tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge... All give the same result... blank screen.

I have seen on another post however that "failed direct debit" e-mails are sent out automatically when there isn't an active direct debit and that once it goes live they will stop.

If it is the case that the DD hasn't gone live yet then hopefully that explains why the 'manage payments' screen is unavailable.

I only signed up on 17th June and received the "failed direct debit" email on 19th June which does seem a bit previous.

I will leave it a few more days and see if the DD goes live and the manage payments screen starts working.

Regards

Pat

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@pmsurman If you are still having problems with accessing billing on PN and if you have online banking, I would suggest checking for any PN DD instructions there. It will show up in your bank account whether it is currently active or not. If it is there, you know that PN have your instructions and you don't need to run around any more.

From memory (been some time since I set one up), if no payment has been made it usually says when the first one will be collected.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @pmsurman,

Thank you for trying these steps.

Could you try accessing the update payment screen here once you have logged into your account. Along side this, could you send us a screenshot of the page that appears when you try accessing this update payment page.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
pmsurman
Hooked

Hi Jubby,

Same result from your link... blank screen! See screen grab attached.

Regards

Pat

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @pmsurman

As you have only just signed up and submitted your direct debit instruction, it's highly likely that the instruction is still processing. I've never heard of a direct debit going live in 1-2 days.

Generally this can take between 7 and 10 days for your bank to verify the mandate.

While this is in a pending state on our side, its likely the reason for nothing being displayed.

As @idonno mentioned, you can also check with your bank provider to see if the instruction has been set up and verified on their side. If it hasn't I'd recommend giving it a few more days.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Optimatts 

Hi Matt,

Are you suggesting that until the first bill has been generated (and payment fails) that the billing module is not going to display anything … so therefore this user cannot access the means on updating the DD details … until the enter failed payments and the know issues therein?

@pmsurman 

A warm welcome to the forums.

This could be related to a characteristic of the billing system of not displaying the account details due to an inconsistent state in the browser.  I thought though that it had been fixed.  Whatever, try clicking the logout link on the right hand side of the menu options.  Then log back in and see if the billing module then loads.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Townman

I think what @Optimatts is explaining is that while the account is in a queued activate state this allows the input of direct debit details initially which can usually take up to 14 days to process. This may allow these details to be amended later in the process however should the account activate without direct debit details in place it is not a huge issue. The first months service is included in the initial fees paid on sign-up, allowing further opportunity to resubmit the direct debit instruction again prior to the invoice being generated a month later.