cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit - What's Going On?????

daz1107
Grafter

Direct Debit - What's Going On?????

Could someone please look into my direct debit, which is due to go out around 28 March?
I put a request to change last Monday (16 March), as I have changed bank accounts.  At the same time, I chnaged over my British Gas, Sky and my mobile phone direct debits.
I've received confirmation from all the others, that the change has taken place, but Plusnet still shows as 'being set up'.  I have also been asked to input my card details, which I have done, but now have a message saying that if payment is taken by card, there is an additional charge of £1.50!!
Err, I don't think so!  You have had ample notice to change it; all the other companies have managed it, so why haven't you????
18 REPLIES 18
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Direct Debit - What's Going On?????

If you scan around these forums you will see many comments about the "not fit for purpose" Direct Debit system PN use, it seems to be very fragile.
It takes ages to set up, often fails to do so, but once "up and running" is generally OK.
From what I've seen, if you make a change, you need to give the system several weeks notice; it's almost as if its designed to fail to complete within one billing cycle.
As you say, no other utility supplier has a problem, but the risk is your payment isn't taken and your service is restricted.
Hopefully, as it's a well-known system failing PN staff will cancel/refund any card charges, but being pragmatic, be prepared to pay that way. At least one month, hopefully no more.  Cry
There have been several comments by staff about a "new, improved" billing system solving such issues, but no positive news as to when.
Meanwhile, I doubt anyone in PN will deny it's a rubbish system and they will undoubtedly resolve things amicably if you let them.  Cool
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi Daz,
Apologies for the confusion here. The new Direct Debit was submitted to your bank and can take anywhere up to two weeks for it to become fully active. If it's not up and running by the 28th (your billing date), then please let me know.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
daz1107
Grafter

Thanks Matty, I will certainly let you know if i'm charged anymore.
I just find it strange that the other three utilities have sorted it, but Plusnet haven't!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: daz1107

I just find it strange that the other three utilities have sorted it, but Plusnet haven't!

You shouldn't be for the reasons HPsauce gives. Welcome to the weird and wacky world of Plusnet  Cheesy  Grin
dick:green Quote fixed.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
daz1107
Grafter

I'm starting to discover that Peter!!  Wink
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Were you not in a position to use the "switching service" to change bank accounts? The only reason for asking is that, IIRC, there is a system built in to handle "delayed" transfers of in/out payments (but don't quote me Roll_eyes ).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

there is a system built in to handle "delayed" transfers of in/out payments (but don't quote me
I believe there is, but I think that handles the situation where an organisation uses the 'old' DD details after the account has switched. This assumes, quite reasonably, that an organisation will retain the old DD until a new one is aset up. That's where the problem is, I don't think the PN system can do that Roll_eyes I seems to immediately 'forget' the old details...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: PeeGee
there is a system built in to handle "delayed" transfers
Even if correct, I doubt that would help. The "gap" is entirely the fault of PlusNet's systems.
PN's systems have been told of the change, but they take too long to set up, verify and process the new information, while probably immediately stopping the old request.  Crazy
daz1107
Grafter

It looks as though it has now been sorted!!  The direct debit is not showing as 'setting up'.
I wasn't strictly switching accounts; I had opened another one, but only changed some of the direct debits over, but yes, you are correct that if you opt for the bank to do the switching, there are safeguards in placefor delays etc.
Thanks to all who commented on this thread and to Matty who offered to help.
HPsauce
Pro

It looks as though it has now been sorted!!  The direct debit is now showing as 'setting up'.
Fingers crossed, but where is that showing - at your bank or at PlusNet?  Undecided
daz1107
Grafter

Showing as 'set up' on my online banking and also, the 'debit debit being set up......can take 5 days....blah blah' warning when I first log in to Plusnet has now gone.
Hopefully (and please note I said hopefully), the money will go out on 28 March as it should!!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The new DD is showing as active on our side now so there shouldn't be any issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro

Hopefully (and please note I said hopefully), the money will go out on 28 March as it should!!
If it is all working OK you get an email, I think about 5 days before the actual payment, saying how much will be taken and when.
My emails are usually dated late in the month and the money moves a few days later early in the next month. Not sure if everyone has the same dates though.......
hillyfields123
Grafter

The date of your DD depends on (I think) your original activation date.