Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit Guarantee

theoule
Grafter

Direct Debit Guarantee

From the FAQ:http://community.plus.net/vat_faq/
Are you making any other changes?
We will also be updating our Direct Debit guarantee as per the details on bacs’ website.
From http://www.bacs.co.uk/Bacs/Businesses/Resources/Pages/Guarantee.aspx
• "If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit (insert your organisation name) will notify you (insert number of ) working days in advance of  your account being debited or as otherwise agreed."
Can you tell me the number of working days in advance you will be inserting in your guarantee?
34 REPLIES 34
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Direct Debit Guarantee

Whilst concerns have been raised about the notice period, we currently have no plans to change this from the 3 days it stands at now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Spider
Grafter

• Are you making any other changes?

Yes we are. We’ll be retiring our existing Talk Anytime product and launching a new Anytime product at a lower price point. The calling plan for this new product will cost £3.50 as opposed to £5 and will be available from 4th January 2011. You can take advantage of a three month free offer by registering your interest here.
New broadband customers will receive an estimated speed ‘range’ when they sign up instead of the static speed estimate we currently provide^. This is in keeping with version 2.0 of the Ofcom voluntary code of practice on broadband speeds.
We will also be updating our Direct Debit guarantee as per the details on bacs’ website here.

So exactly what is changing to the Direct Debit guarantee?
theoule
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Whilst concerns have been raised about the notice period, we currently have no plans to change this from the 3 days it stands at now.

Thanks for the reply, can you point me at the documentation that shows the 3 days?
I looked in all the terms and conditions and couldn't find it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

So exactly what is changing to the Direct Debit guarantee?

It's just wording changes IIRC.
Thanks for the reply, can you point me at the documentation that shows the 3 days?

It's shown in the DD guarantee when you set one up:
The Direct Debit Guarantee
    * This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme.
      The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.
    * If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change Plusnet plc. will notify you 3 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.
    * If an error is made by Plusnet plc. or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from the branch of the amount paid. You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society.
      Please also send a copy of this letter to us.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So let us take a scenario.
I receive a DD notification where the amount is incorrect
There is no possibility to stop the charge or change it via Plusnet
So I inform the bank that this DD is incorrect and get an immediate refund
What happens next
theoule
Grafter

Quote from: Chris

It's shown in the DD guarantee when you set one up:
The Direct Debit Guarantee
    * This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme.
      The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.
    * If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change Plusnet plc. will notify you 3 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.
    * If an error is made by Plusnet plc. or your Bank or Building Society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from the branch of the amount paid. You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society.
      Please also send a copy of this letter to us.

Can you tell me if Direct Debits are actioned on the same day as Credit card payments?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my last invoice, the E-mail notification was timed at 09:50 on the 24th Nov, and had a massive double BB charge, that was a Wednesday, Friday at 09:50 in my working is two working days, the Money left my bank at just after Midnight on the 28th, the three working days is 09:50 on the 29th  Not exactly correct is it and thats not taking into account at what time on the 24th I actually looked at my e-mail
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just checked with my Bank, that last payment of mine actually left my account on the evening of the 26th, the last working day before the due day.
That is not legal on you timing, about time you heeded your users and put your account system in order
Spider
Grafter

Out of interest what was the invoice date? When a DVD claim is received overnight on the Friday it usually shows as a pending debit over the weekend with the actual debit date being the Monday. If the debit date was 26th then that was clearly too early. The actually times that DD claims get relayed to the banks can very, but the pending process is the same and if memory serves me correct a DD payment can be recalled by the bank up to 12 noon on the day following debit.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the DD date was the 29th, a Monday, and the bank have only just told me that is it shown pending for at least two working days before the due date and is actioned on the last working date before the due date, they were explicit and said it was actioned on the Friday as Saturday and Sundays are not working days (Although my branch is open on Saturdays),  I have seen it on the hole in the wall machine mini statements - dated the day after the print out
Bruce47
Grafter

pierre_pierre are you with Natwest or RBS?  This sounds like a characteristic of their direct debit processing, i.e. show it on the account a day early if it falls on a weekend.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

NatWest, my account was with the National Provincial before they amalgamated with the Westminster bank, opened it in 1963
Bruce47
Grafter

That would make sense.  On your bank statement (and on online banking), the transaction should show with Monday's date.
With Natwest and RBS, credits and debits are applied in the evening/overnight of Friday/Saturday but are normally postdated to the Monday.
Spider
Grafter

Although it shows on the Friday it should not physically debit until the Monday, but bank as their own slightly different ways of processing the transactions.