cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collection threat over billing error!

dragon-68
Dabbler

Debt collection threat over billing error!

Hi is anyone else suffering currently or does anyone else have experience of dealing with Plusnet incorrect billing and debt collection approach.

long story short.

took out a plusnet account Aug 26th, £210.88, details came through with a phone number different to the one in use.

contacted plusnet "thats no problem close the account we will refund you" call back tomorrow open a new account to get the offer stating you wish to keep your current phone number. plusnet rep confirmed account closed.

this we did, new account created, however plusnet would not/could not refund £210.88 and eventually they advised us to get a bank indemnity.  to date at this point we have paid pnet £421.76

19th september a further £192.88 is taken from the account putting our account in a negative balance.  phoned up complained etc,on the 26th September pnet refund 197.88 (extra £5er) for grief stress and hassle, admitting their billing system was causing problems etc.

lets not forget at this point pnet have still got £421.76 for 1 account cost of £210.88

all other billing and account functions are working fine, we are just waiting/chasing the bank indemnity for the other £210.88

eventually 19th October bank indemnity comes through for £210.88 - hurrah at last we are now all square.

then on the 12-12-2018, email from plusnet stating we owe £216.64 and that if it is not paid they will pass the debt to DCA.

pnet contacted many many many times, each time with a different reason why the money is owed they have copies of bank statements showing all transactions. Finally tonight one very decent gentlemen went through it stage by stage it took over an hour, he finally agreed it was an error but can't stop the debt collection agency etc etc . all we are told is it has been passed to the DCA team and when we get a letter to call the billing team.  

my parents are 70 + years old and have never owed a penny to anyone.  they can't take the stress of being threatened with debt collection.

has anyone else had this issue, what can we do, any help or suggestions gratefully received. 

28 REPLIES 28
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Debt collection threat over billing error!

Personally in your position I would seek some form of legal advice. Plusnets errors have caused you stress and financial loss.

Time to stop all the running around after them. From what you've said you clearly cannot trust them or believe what they say anymore.

No doubt plusnets next move will be to open a "ticket" ie hide it away. For your benefit of course.

A lot of people on this forum would love to hear how this eventually pans out. So any details of what's happening would help a lot of other people getting charged when they shouldn't.

On ebay the scammers call this sort of thing a cheap pay day loan.

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @dragon-68 I am sorry to learn about the series of issues you have experienced with our service and for the inconvenience caused to yourself and your parents.

From looking at the notes on the account this has been re-escalated to our Billing department to review what has previously been advised and you have also been assigned a case manager who will be in contact within 5 working days to discuss this issue further.

Again I truly sorry for what has occurred, you will be updated further by the advisor assigned to your account.

dragon-68
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply, however this does not take away the fact we have been told our account will be restricted etc etc then how do we contact pnet??  what makes it even more frustrating is pnet cannot identify the matter, they clutch at straws and incorrect facts.  once you go through the statements they agree they are incorrect but then say they are powerless as it has passed to the DCA.  5 days is also after the deadline for the DCA action

my parents are 70 and 72 are they likely to receive any sort of address black listing or negative impact on their credit rating.

thanks for your response though we await with interest to see how it pans out.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Topic moved to Accounts and Billing for better visibility.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@dragon-68 Sorry to hear this.

We've escalated this with the relevant team and we'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dragon-68
Dabbler

well this is just great!  

finally today plusnet agreed they were in the wrong 13:08.  they even offered us a pitiful refund of £8.00 at 18:28

then at 19:44 3 emails in quick succession closing the account completely and more threats of debt collection

called customer services, apparently there is nothing that can be done!

what an utter bunch of crooks

really have no idea where to go or what to do next

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @dragon-68

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.

I see from this ticket that the issues has been passed to our Billing Operations Disputes team to investigate further

The ticket will be updated once information is ready to be shared via them. 

Kind Regards,

MoR

dragon-68
Dabbler

absolutely ridiculous and deplorable behaviour.

two elderly parents now without a phone line.

disgusting service, do you proud!!!! really

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I would strongly suggest that you take legal advice on this matter, it doesn't appear that Plusnet are acceptant of their cupability in getting to this stage and are reluctant to act outside of "The rules" in getting the issue rectified.

SU Escalation

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragon-68
Dabbler

update on the sorry state of affairs with scandalous bunch of crooks known as plusnet!

we received two emails neither of which contain an apology.  one at 13:08 to say the mistake is plusnet and we owe nothing, account cleared all is good, a second at 18:24 to say plusnet owe us £8.

then at 19:44 a whole string of emails ranging from you have not paid through to threats and now actions that the matter has been passed to a debt collection agency.

contact plusnet - sorry nothing we can do a ticket has been raised.  billing department are away until after christmas and we cannot now stop the matter as it is with the debt collection agency and out of their hands.

so i now have two elderly parents stressed to the eyeballs, vulnerable and heavily reliant on a phone line facing debt collection threats during one of the worst parts of the year for old people.  then i have to try and explain that nothing can be done until after christmas.

to cap it all Plusnet still owe my parents the remaining 7 months line rental

the additional worry my mother just cannot understand is being pursued by a debt collection agency at her age when she has never owed and does not owe anyone a penny 

what a great situation!  

DO YOU PROUD - what a joke.

Plusnet have not heard the end of this 

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

You could try a chargeback with your bank and see what they say?

dragon-68
Dabbler

that is what we had to do in the first instance when plusnet fouled up.

bank indemnity eventually got the money back - it took 3 months and then in between the inept, heartless cretins (plusnet) hit my parents with a further line rental saver direct debit and took another £192.  

bank statements have been provided, billing eventually admit the error is theirs, however all to late as the account is stopped and debt collection is in progress.  billing on holiday now until after christmas.  all we can do is await a letter from the DCA.

my parents have never owed a penny all their lives and don't now, they are worried sick about the DCA bit and being blacklisted

I am seeking legal advice on behalf of my parents and have no intention of backing down.

it is this sort of treatment that can have the worst possible consequence to the elderly and infirm.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 91

Hello @dragon-68,

We are sincerely sorry for the experience your parents have had and for the undue stress this has caused.

From what I can see we have currently have been working to resolve this, however it is a complex matter and I am happy to take ownership of the issue for you.

I will work with the relevant teams to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. Please allow me time to investigate and I will reply via the account.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
dragon-68
Dabbler

Thank you Sammy M and please don't take my negative tone in any way a derisory appreciation of your efforts.  I am extremely grateful.  However, IT IS NOT COMPLEX!   It is simple, pnet charged my parents 3 times for line rental saver, did not refund when they said they would and we had to take a bank indemnity to get it back.  it simple arithmetic by 1 product, get charged for 1 product NOT be charged 3 times.  What is complex about pnet communicating internally as an organisation.  This whole affair started 10 days ago and if pnet had got their act together and taken notice of the emails, bank statements and phone calls from the outset and just listened we would not be having this 'chat'.  It has taken phone call after phone call (average time 45mins), trips to the bank for statements, scanning of statements, more phone calls, more emails etc, only to be told your debt has been fast tracked to the debt collection agency and there is nothing more that can be done as the billing team are on holiday now until the new year and our only option is to wait until we get a letter from the DCA and hope they can resolve it.  

I can assure you though as you are acting on behalf of pnet the impact this has had on my parents, in particular my mother is catastrophic and on friday night when the debt collection emails came through again after receiving the email from pnet saying the account had been sorted and it was all a mistake on pnets part, here is a refund it is all sorted! I honestly thought she was going to have a heart attack. Debt collection threats at 72 years of age are simply not acceptable and as for cutting the phone line off completely for vulnerable and elderly people this just deplorable.

Thank you for taking ownership of this matter, if i can prioritise my mother's worries and the outcome she requires to finally bring closure this matter.

1) The DCA are given the correct information  from the billing team and the action is stopped AND the clear assurance in writing from PLUSNET this has not affected her credit rating.  (in her words our home address is not blacklisted).

2) The remaining 7 months line rental saver money £122 refunded instantly, without having to get a bank indemnity and trawl through this process again.  There is no way on earth my mother will ever go back to using plusnet.

3) COMPENSATION a decent amount!  an amount that is appropriate to the financial cost of travelling to the bank, plus the stress and negative impact on my parents well being this whole sorry saga has had.

4) A written apology from plusnet for closing the account and leaving two vulnerable elderly people without a phone in the winter season, a phone that can't even be used to receive calls from my brother and I to check on how they are.

PLUSNET still have time to do the right thing - i wonder if they will, it is christmas after all