cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DD fails every month "Bank does not recognize the instruction"

krs360
Grafter

DD fails every month "Bank does not recognize the instruction"

I have a DD setup to pay for my service, for the last three months at least I'm getting an email to say that my service has not been paid for with the error msg (to the effect of) what's in the title.
Any idea what is going on?
The bank details are correct and there are more than enough funds.
5 REPLIES 5
Spider
Grafter

Re: DD fails every month "Bank does not recognize the instruction"

This usually happens when the company making the claim is claiming under different details to that which is set up on the DD mandate. If the claim is made on the correct sortcode and account number then it is usually down to the company claiming using a different BACS number (Service user number) than the one set up on the mandate.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I always paid my MAAF Just Mail account with DD then about 4 years they told me the bank had refused it - the bank tells me MAAF haven't asked for it and MAAF tell me they have this went on for a couple years. As it only a 1 off payment for £20 per year I just gave up and pay by card now. If it's happening monthly then it would drive me nuts. Have you checked your account and crossed ref'd the numbers?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi krs360,
Looks like January's payment has gone through alright, though I can see it did fail in December - hoping it's gone through alright this month from your side of things as well?
krs360
Grafter

Matt,
Every payment I've made has been through my card.
I've tried to set it up again (re entered the details which match my account exactly) via the portal so I won't know until this time next month. Other direct debits seem to come out just fine - credit card, etc.
Any suggestions?
To be honest, it may well even be the bank side, I told them my card was cracked they then proceeded to order me a new card and new pin number saying it was lost/stolen.. the old card still works with the old pin number and the new card works with the new pin number.. don't hold them in high regard if I'm honest!
Cheers,
Ben.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, the codes we've been getting suggested that there wasn't a matching instruction at the bank? I think submitting a new direct debit is the best thing to do to be honest, hope it sorts things out for you and sorry about that.