cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer options Team gave 'deal' which is more expensive than current one??

jaseace1978
Grafter

Customer options Team gave 'deal' which is more expensive than current one??

Having been a loyal PlusNet customer for sometime now and also having my telephone through them I contacted their COT today as my contract is up in January to see what my options were if I was to stay with them. I have fibre unlimited (£16.50p/m) with BT Sport HD (£12.49 p/m) and my phone (which is paid upfront). In total over the 18 month contract I pay £521.82 for fibre and BT Sport.
I was offered today to have my Fibre reduced to £15 p/m and to have BT Sport free for 6 months or to have BT Sport have price for 12 months but on an 18 month contract.
A reduction all round some might say and the eager ones may well think that is a better deal and sign up there and then for it, however when I have priced everything up over the 2 year contract this actually equates to £584 for both of these 'offers' which is over £60 more expensive than what I am paying now and I was told that if I do leave in January I will lose what I have paid up front on my line rental saver because that doesn't actually finish until October so I feel in a bit of a catch 22 situation.
I can't understand why the customer options team would try and sell something as a better offer for the customer when in reality it is more expensive despite it seemingly offering reductions on the fibre and BT Sport and I'm sure that many people maybe wouldn't have looked into the numbers like I did and may well sign up to a longer more expensive contract which they may regret later and this should be explained to the customer.
I'm presently undecided at what to do but I definitely won't be taking up the 'offers' I have been given so its either stick with what I have or more go elsewhere and lose the line rental saver so all in all a bit disappointed with things.
So just beware 'deals' may not be as good as what they seem. Make sure you get the numbers worked out and don't feel pressurised to sign up on the spot.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Customer options Team gave 'deal' which is more expensive than current one??

Please provide the arithmetic as to my simple mind £16.50 + £12.49 = £28.99 and for 24 months this is £695.76
You can ignore the phone costs because that would be there whatever package you are on and you have to add them to both figures
jaseace1978
Grafter

Re: Customer options Team gave 'deal' which is more expensive than current one??

Yes but I'm currently on an 18 month deal and I would think that would continue as an 18 month deal with the current monthly costs I am paying ie 16.50 and 12.49?
The 24 month deals are where they are offering a 'cheaper' Fibre £15p/m and 'cheaper' BT Sport either free for 6 months or half price for 12 months.
Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could?
jaseace1978
Grafter

I have not included any phone costs in my calculations for the very reason you allude to
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I was using your numbers
For both offers the cost over 24 months is stated by you as  £584
I have priced everything up over the 2 year contract this actually equates to £584 for both of these 'offers'

On your existing offer it is  £16.50 + £12.49 = £28.99 and for 24 months this is £695.76
jaseace1978
Grafter

Yes both offers PN gave me today amounts to £584 but that is on a 24 months contract.
I am paying and have been paying on my existing contract for the past 17 months of my 18 month contract 16.50 and 12.49 which over that period of my current contract comes to 521.82. This is not over a 24 month contract. I don't know whether or not if I renew on that deal whether it would be on a 24 month contract as surely I could if I wanted to continue as I am be on an 18 month contract.
My point was I don't want to have to go onto a 24 month contract if I renew and their 'offers' are based on that which over the term of the contract works out more expensive than what I am currently paying.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You won't continue on that deal - it would revert to the full prices as given on the website
If you only want an 18 month deal then you should contact Customer Options again and ask what they would offer for an 18 month contract
jaseace1978
Grafter

They didn't even ask whether I would like to continue on an 18 month contract. They just seemed keen at plugging the 24 month ones and I'm definitely not going to renew on that basis.
jaseace1978
Grafter

A bit of a lack of any response from PN I see.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There wouldn't be as the only people who are authorised to make an offer are the Customer Options Team
Springerrob

I'm in a similar position,  I was offered what appeared to be a good deal on the phone on the basis I signed up for another 18 months.
Confirmation emails only confirmed a new contract and not prices,  I then get a shock when my monthly bill goes up by £10,  do plusnet really think that's as a customer of many years I'd agree to a £10 hike and lock myself in for another 18 months?
This smacks of sharp practice,  disgraceful,  and having raised it with plusnet you'd think they'd do sort it immediately,  3 days later still waiting for a reply.
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi Springerrob,
I'm sorry to read about those issues. If you wish to send me details of the account in question I'd be happy to look into this and find out what price was agreed on the call to what you are paying and ensure this matches up or correct it if not.
@jaseace1978
Oldjim is correct, the only people able to look at new deals are the Customer Options so you would need to talk to them about 18 month options if they have any to offer.
Thank you.
jaseace1978
Grafter

The post wasn't just about new deals, it was also a word of warning about how the deals are sold so that customers are aware of these types of selling practices and to make sure that they do their numbers first as the deals offered are often not as good as they seem or portrayed by PN staff. There could be many an unsuspecting customer tied into a new contract because of this.
On another note I'm aware the customer options team are the only ones who can offer deals but it seems these days loyalty means very little to PN so its unsurprising that I read many long term customers are going elsewhere.