cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contracts

KrisS21

Contracts

Background:
Prior to moving house I contacted Plusnet to arrange a change of address.
I was unfortunately unable to keep my old telephone number and was then told that a test indicated that there was no connection, at the new address (on the system).
To sort the issue out there would cost for an engineer on top of a £65 charge for moving.
If I took out a 24 month contract I was told. Plusnet would not charge me, but of cause I would be paying for more months with plusnet and my current monthly charge would increase, but this didn't have long left; I was informed.
I also informed plusnet that I had had brief access to the property and that I had noticed atleast 2 wires disconnected and told that the engineer would sort it (from memory)
As I have been happy with plusnet I agreed to the contract being lengthened.
No BT engineer called as we had thought, and missing wires which I explained prior to the move, weren't looked at.
I now have no home Internet access and tests are being carried out. It might be that I will incur extra charges (in the region of £150) which I'm not particularly happy about but can't really do anything about. If I don't have it dealt with, I have no Internet.
So that's increase in initial monthly charges, having to extend a contract to 2 years to deal with a fee of over £100, and a possible £150 extra fee because an engineer didn't visit us in the first place.
Question:
Where do I find the information in my accounts as mentioned above I.e extending the contract to have the move of address fee waved and details about the contract itself?
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Contracts

I am finding this difficult to follow
At first you thought your new property had telephone wiring but that the line was not active?
Then on inspection you noticed some wires were not connected somewhere?  That could be perfectly normal.
An attempt was made to activate your line, I presume, but that did give you a working telephone (or broadband) connection?
Now you think you may face further charges?  If you had had a working telephone line and it stopped working it is normal to be threatened with the possibility of charges if the fault is found to be on your premises rather than on the part of the line for which Openreach are responsible.  I don't know what happens in the case of a line that has never worked for the current occupant; does that same threat still apply?
KrisS21

Yes, i found the line to the house wasn't active.
Yes, when I looked at the box prior to contacting plusnet. I noticed at least 2 wires leading to the connection box, weren't connected. I informed them of this, prior to an order being made, for a BT engineer to be involved. We waited for the engineer from a little before 1 to 6 pm. They didn't show.
They just activated the phone at the exchange (2 fees involved).
The phone worked ( poor reception ) and the Internet worked intermittently but not now.
They think that the wire situation may be a problem, but that's what they were supposed to fix initially, last Friday. Or atleast look at, but they didn't show.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You cannot ordinarily see this but there are usually four wires inside the telephone cable coming into your house.  Two are used and two are spare in case you ever want a second line.
If you have followed the instructions from Plusnet, removed the faceplate to your Master Socket, plugged in a corded phone to the test socket revealed when you did this and still got poor reception then you should not face any extra charges.
KrisS21

Thanks,
fingers crossed things get sorted satisfactory