cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract renewal date wrong

HereBeDragons

Contract renewal date wrong

Has anyone else had this happen when taking out another contract with Plusnet?
Knowing my 12-month Unlimited Broadband contract was coming to an end soon (27/03), a couple of days ago I rang up Customer Options to see what they could offer me. Had a nice chat, and was offered £2.50 per month unlimited broadband for another 12 months if I dropped the line rental package to no frills.
No problem, happy with that. Paid the line rental saver for the next 12 months whilst I was on the phone, to get it out of the way.
I received various emails and messages about the change. The one about the broadband package states it is effective 17/03/15, whilst the 'change to your line rental' email states that the line rental change is effective 28/03/15. What?! So they're now out of sync?
At no point in the discussion with Customer Options on Tuesday was I told that the new broadband package we were agreeing would be active as of Tuesday's date (17/03) - I fully expected to be moving across to the new deal on 28/03/15, the day after my previous 12-month contract - which I regard as still being current because I've paid for that 12 months in full - expires. Had I been told, I would not have agreed to it.
I replied to the Customer Options team member's confirmation message about the change via the online help assistant, querying the date of 17/03 and stating that I expected to be moving to the new package as of 28/03. I've had a reply today which simply confirms the contract date is 17/03, and which doesn't respond to my point that I expected it to be activated as of 28/03/15 instead of 17/03/15. Given it's taken 2 days to reply and my query hasn't actually been answered properly, I am posting here instead.
I'm happy with the deal offered, but I'm not happy that the dates no longer appear to match for my broadband package and line rental. If, by calling up ahead of the end of your current contract and asking about deals on offer and agreeing to a new package, a customer is agreeing to a new package as of the date of that call - that should be made clear at the time. Also, Plusnet should refund the unused portion of the customer's previous deal - in my case, nearly a fortnight's broadband. If the date I've been told re the line rental saver is wrong and it's also changed to 17/03/15, I should be refunded that too.
Come on Plusnet - this feels a bit underhand. Either reinstate the correct date of 28/03 for both my broadband and line rental or refund me for my old package and line rental from 17/03 - 27/03.
I would have waited until a day or two before my contract expired to enquire about a new deal had I known this would happen. It's a bit shabby.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Contract renewal date wrong

In the email or ticket there should be a reference to a cooling off period - you could invoke that or at least threaten to
HereBeDragons

Thanks - yes, I'm aware I can cancel, though I hope I don't have to resort to that. I've been pretty happy with Plusnet as a provider so far.
The Plusnet staff on these forums generally seem proactive and good at sorting things like this out. Hint, hint..
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a general point you have misunderstood the procedure
The contract change at a certain date is unusual as it normally happens on your billing date as does the LRS
You pay for broadband in advance and so you have already paid for this month and next month will pay the new rate so the fact that it is shown as coming into effect a few days earlier should have any effect and you won't be done out of any money
HereBeDragons

Ah - if that's the case then I stand corrected. Thanks.
Pity that wasn't explained in Plusnet's response to my request for clarification. The dates in the various emails are confusing & it's hard to make sense of it.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi and welcome to the forums.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Jim has basically covered everything for you though.
I think the person that you spoke to could have clarified matters a little more, and I hope that I can put that right for customers in the future.
Your initial ticket is on my radar too, specifically in request of your point not being answered.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
HereBeDragons

Many thanks for your input Tony - I appreciate it.