Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract length and cancellation charges

FIXED
cgoody
Fixes: 1

Contract length and cancellation charges

We bought a new house in August 2016 and immediately signed up to Plusnet’s broadband and phone service. Unfortunately, the phone line turned out to be missing and had to be installed, which meant that at initially only a standard broadband package could be provided afterwards. However, it was then subsequently possible to upgrade to fibre broadband at the beginning of September 2016. There were many emails and phone calls involved in this torturous process, but at no stage did I ever receive formal confirmation of our contract length and the associated costs.

This month, when I thought that our fixed term was nearly at an end, I started to compare prices for renewing our broadband package. I was shocked to find that we could save as much as £300.00 by transferring to a different provider. My account summary shows that the early cancellation charge is currently £25.34, which I had assumed would decrease to £0 on 2nd September 2017 after the expiry of the 12 month period. However, when I contacted Plusnet about the substantial price differential, I was told that we were actually on an 18 month contract and early cancellation charges would instead amount to £85.12.

No explanation or apology was offered regarding the difference in the costs and the error in the account summary, other than referring me to the small print in the terms and condition on the Plusnet website.  I felt that the matter was dealt with poorly and decided to move to another provider as it would still reduce our payments by  more than £216 over the course of the year.  This is despite my calculating that the early cancellation charges should in fact be no more than £72.96 (6 x £12.16), if indeed we are on an 18 month contract with Plusnet.

An email and letter now received from Plusnet states that the cancellation charge will be £21.72 based on just our phone being transferred on 4th September 2017. Clearly this is not what I want to happen, when according to our new provider, they have already requested the transfer of both services on the same date. Hopefully, somebody will manage to sort this out in time to prevent further problems.

I am unhappy that the account summary screen does not display the end date of any fixed term contract and gives the wrong figure for the cancellation charges. This is very misleading and feel that Plusnet ought to compensate customers for any mistakes made on their part.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Contract length and cancellation charges

Hi there,

From what I can see, an 18 month contract was discussed and agreed last year as per this ticket. I can confirm that both of your services are due to leave us together.

If you decide to stay with us we can look into renewing your contract on a cheaper deal within the last 3 months.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cgoody

That may be true, but not providing details of the contract in email or letter form for reference makes it very difficult for customers to know where they stand after a period of time has elapsed. Anyway, you have completely missed the point about the account summary giving misleading and incorrect information in respect of your cancellation charges, which is still my principal complaint. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

From my calculations I agree with you.

When your service has migrated and before your account is closed our billing team should work out your final bill from the early termination charges laid out in our price guides [£12.16 for each month left in regards to Unlimited Fibre].

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cgoody

Fix

I have just had a call from [CSA Removed] at Plusnet to say that the £25.34 cancellation charge shown on my account summary screen really is the correct figure. Glad that he could finally explain why I had previously been given the wrong information and clear up the confusion.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.