cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract length & cancellation charges

janeybeans
Grafter

Contract length & cancellation charges

Just looking at my account with a view to changing to a different ISP and wonder if someone could explain the following to me:
18/07/2012 - Deferred FTTC (with WLR) activation contract for 12 months £25.00(upon cancellation)
18/07/2012 - Extra Fibre Profit Foregone Contract (18 months) £48.00(upon cancellation)
Cessation charge £25.00(upon cancellation)
19/07/2012 Deferred Hardware - Netgear WNR1000 - FTTC £40.00 (upon cancellation)

Firstly, is this an 12 or 18 month contract?  i.e. when can we cancel?
And does this mean we're going to be charged £138 when we cancel?
Thanks.
Jane
20 REPLIES 20
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Contract length & cancellation charges

The deferred activation and hardware charges apply if you leave within 12 months of activation, the 18 months foregone profit reduces month by month.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@janeybeans
Hi there and sorry to hear you're thinking of changing ISPs. Just wondering if you have any feedback for us?
As it stands it would be around that ammount, to be exact:
Deferred FTTC (with WLR) activation contract for 12 month: £25
Extra Fibre Profit Foregone Contract (18 months): £42
Deferred Hardware - Netgear WNR1000 - FTTC  £40.00
Total: £138
Please let me know if there's any aspects of those fees that you want to discuss in more detail.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kmilburn
Grafter

Surely that total is £107. 
And incase janeybeans is wondering,  the cessation charge only applies if broadband is ceased completely, it doesn't apply if the provider is changed properly.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Maths has never been my strong point but that's ridiculous Wink I failed to copy across £25 cessation fee when taking the info from the account.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Maths has never been my strong point
and still isn't, £107 + £25 = £132. Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

heh, I copied that from the account so that part of our systems definitely can't do maths it seems!  Grin
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It looks like the  Extra Fibre Profit Foregone Contract dropped from £48.00 to £42.00 at some point, so you're excused ( maybe ! ) Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

janeybeans
Grafter

Sorry, only just had a chance to get back on here.  So we will have to pay £130-whatever to move to a different ISP?  That seems excessive.  When we moved from BT to Plusnet, bar possibly a small admin type fee we didn't have to pay anything (if we paid anything it can't have been much or else I'd have remembered).

What is galling is that the reason I am having to move ISP is because Plusnet were not able to fix the problem that means that, although I have a 30-odd MB fibre connection, I can only download my work (via an FTP server) at 4kbps - yes 4 KB per second!  When you're downloading 70mb+ files you can imagine what impact that has.  To then be told we'll have to pay £130-odd to move through no fault of ours is a bit of a pee-take to be honest.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So we will have to pay £130-whatever to move to a different ISP?
Your deferred h/w and activation changes will drop out after 19/07/2013 which will just leave the Fibre contract charges which will have reduced by another £6 by then leaving £ 36.
I can only download my work (via an FTP server) at 4kbps - yes 4 KB per second!
That sounds odd, FTP was rate limited on the old Extra product but only to 2MB at certain times

janeybeans
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Your deferred h/w and activation changes will drop out after 19/07/2013 which will just leave the Fibre contract charges which will have reduced by another £6 by then leaving £ 36.
That sounds odd, FTP was rate limited on the old Extra product but only to 2MB at certain times

Thanks, was looking like I was being told we had to pay the whole lot to cancel regardless of when we moved.
Although it's been a complete pain, the tech guys did do a lot to try and work out why I can't download at a decent speed and did a lot of changes but nothing worked.  Although I can prove it's not my computer or the FTP server causing the issue (I can download fine using my computer using a friend's ISP), they don't know why I can't download from here.  We've luckily managed to work around it so far by having to allow at least a day in the schedule for downloading but this is ridiculous because it should take me a couple of minute to download, not hours.
Personally, I think it's the fibre part of it that's the problem, was fine until we switched to fibre (even though we were only a <2mb connection).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Personally, I think it's the fibre part of it that's the problem, was fine until we switched to fibre
Interesting... I've just looked over your old thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108269.0.html . Did Phil ( Richardson ) come back with anything after 10/10/2012 ?

janeybeans
Grafter

Yeah, Phil and his colleagues were great, they did do a lot of stuff (done on proper support tickets rather than via here) but never got to the bottom of it and kind of wrote it off as 'not a Plusnet problem'.
No one has ever actually checked the BT box on the wall though and I just have to wonder if that's where the fault lies.  Maybe not, but my fear is that we move to fibre with another provider and have the same issue if it goes through the same box.
To be totally honest, if it wasn't for the FTP problem, we'd stay with Plusnet as it's great otherwise.
jim:quote
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi JaneyBeans
Have you tried FTP downloads from other sites?
The results could shed some light on the issue.
Richard
janeybeans
Grafter

No, I don't have access to any other FTP sites, so not been something I could try.
jim:quote