cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract end no warning!

steampunk
Newbie
Posts: 1
Registered: 06-07-2017

Contract end no warning!

Just received an email today from Plusnet  "We'll soon be taking a payment of £28.98 for your service. This will leave
your account on or after 11/07/17"

Previous payments were £17.99

After phoning I was told a new contract is £18.99, but they are still going to take the £28.99 on the 11/07/17 even if I renew the contract?

There was no advance warning that the previous contract ended on 05/07/17. 

Why stay with Plusnet if they treat customers like this?

12 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 10,155
Thanks: 1,683
Fixes: 19
Registered: 22-08-2007

Re: Contract end no warning!

Did not the email you received when you signed up advise of the contract's duration? Also do you have your communication preferences turned off?

Many consider notification of deals and offers (at end of contract or other times) undesirable.
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,372
Thanks: 628
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Contract end no warning!

Plusnet are still struggling with general billing.

Helpful reminders are beyond them.

 

And yes I too found it extremely annoying that the only "reminder" I got was my bill increasing.

Dentists, garages, councils etc all seem to manage sending the odd helpful reminder.

But an actual internet company can't? Go figure.

 

bin
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 167
Thanks: 56
Registered: 05-12-2014

Re: Contract end no warning!

Look at it from their angle. If they tell you then you may either come back to try to re-negotiate a good deal, or you may leave.

By just ignoring it and then taking the higher amount they get more money for no effort - simples!

Oddly enough they are remarkably efficient at telling me my annual line rental is due - 2 months ahead!

Perhaps it's the dour gritty side of the cheeky northern chappy in their advertising coming through - "You won't owt for nowt round 'ere lad, on yer bike!" or words to that effect.

 

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 4,856
Thanks: 1,062
Fixes: 236
Registered: 21-04-2017

Re: Contract end no warning!

Hi there,


When a contract is agreed, as per the mandatory statement the adviser reads out, you should have been made aware of the length of your contract and of the cost it'll increase by after the minimum term. I can see this was sent by email at the time.

 

We do have an outbound sales team that proactively contacts our customers that near the end of their contract. Unfortunately, it's not practical to call every customer affected.

 

I believe our Marketing team are sending out automated emails from time to time, to customers nearing their contract end, with a new offer, however because you've opted out of Marketing communications it's likely you wouldn't be in the mailing list.

 

If you contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting Option 1 then Option 2) I'm sure we'll be able to provide you with the best deal we possibly can.

At the time of writing this, there is no wait time to get through to them and they are here until 8pm.

 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

 

Anoush

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,372
Thanks: 628
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Contract end no warning!

Well you've answered a lot of unasked questions except the specifically asked one of why doesn't plusnet take the simple move of reminding customers when their contract is about to end.

How hard would it be to send an automatic email to all your valued customers at that crucial time?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 4,856
Thanks: 1,062
Fixes: 236
Registered: 21-04-2017

Re: Contract end no warning!


billnotben wrote:

except the specifically asked one of why doesn't plusnet take the simple move of reminding customers when their contract is about to end.


Gandalf wrote:
I believe our Marketing team are sending out automated emails from time to time, to customers nearing their contract end, with a new offer, however because you've opted out of Marketing communications it's likely you wouldn't be in the mailing list.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16,832
Thanks: 1,940
Fixes: 133
Registered: 06-04-2007

Re: Contract end no warning!


billnotben wrote:

How hard would it be to send an automatic email to all your valued customers at that crucial time?


On the other hand how difficult is it to make a note of the contract start and end dates? I should imagine most, if not all, subscribers have access to a calendar program\app or similar and can set reminders some time before it's due to expire.

 

I prefer to do that than rely on individual companies to remind me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,372
Thanks: 628
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Contract end no warning!

On the other hand, from a business point of view, keeping your customers happy should be your number two priority.

After 18-24 months personal reminders tend to disappear as software etc gets updated / phones changed and bits of paper get eaten by the dog.

And as a business isn't it just plain polite to inform your customer when the price is going up and the reason why?

 

Gandalf wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
I believe our Marketing team are sending out automated emails from time to time, to customers nearing their contract end, with a new offer, however because you've opted out of Marketing communications it's likely you wouldn't be in the mailing list.

I'll leave that down to you to explain why you think a reminder email saying "your contract is about to end and your price is about to go up" is anything to do with marketing.

I sincerely doubt that that anyone opting out of "marketing communications" would think it would be used as an excuse for this.

"marketing communications"  is that an oxymoron?

 

Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 10,155
Thanks: 1,683
Fixes: 19
Registered: 22-08-2007

Re: Contract end no warning!

Hey,

There's a hot topic elsewhere over plusnet making "service calls" at the end of contract ... over there they're screaming red rage over contact preferences being ignored ... when Plusnet seek to exactly what's being asked for here.

Just goes to show no matter what is done or not done someone is going to find a reason to complain.

We were all told the duration and terms on sign up. However this seems to be the way of today's society ... we all expect someone else to take care of our wellbeing!
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,372
Thanks: 628
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Contract end no warning!

Deleted

 

cleandishee
Grafter
Posts: 25
Thanks: 30
Registered: 22-09-2016

Re: Contract end no warning!

There's a hot topic elsewhere over plusnet making "service calls" at the end of contract ... over there they're screaming red rage over contact preferences being ignored

 

"Screaming red rage" ? do belt up.

 

There has been a reasonable discussion on an alternate thread about Plusnet making unwanted cold calls to those who have clearly indicated they do not wish such contact.

 

Some have been a little more emotive than others, but most have been sensible and level headed.

 

You can read the thread here -

 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Calls-from-0114-307-3836/td-p/1371384

 

This issue has caused  geniune problems for myself and a number of others, who did not care for your insensitive assumption that the people involved were simply looking to complain and that we could just "say no" after getting this unexpected scam like call that Plusnet should not be making.

 

The Plusnet reps totally ignored that thread for a very long time, which caused even more confusion.

 

The OP here raises a point that I totally disagree with. I believe strongly that the onus is upon the customer to check things like contract lengths and to check if they are still on the best deal possible.

 

In my opinion Plusnet is totally in the right here, especially so if the OP had indicated they did not wish any contact (which isn't clear), as they are providing a discount for a specified time, after this they can charge any standard rate (or increase) that is shown on their website. In such matters Plusnet usually make the proper announcements and send the correct emails.

 

After saying this, Plusnet also have a responsibility to respect the wishes of those who for many genuine reasons do not wish any type of cold call to be made, especially those with the increase in scamming calls and some of us having vulnerable people who cannot cope with such contact.

 

I have never and would never hold any service provider responsible for not telling me about offers when I have made the choice to tell them not to contact me. If I chose to complain about this I would expect Plusnet to point out that this choice was the reason for this non contact. I would expect any independent adjudicator to also side with Plusnet in such a complaint also.

 

As such, I must also disagree with Billnotben. While I can possibly see your point, a line has to be drawn somewhere and I believe it is fair for Plusnet to assume that such contact would come under your marketing preferences. This issue however does have a relatively simple solution in either adjusting your marketing preferences to allow contact or for you to contact customer options yourself as Gandalf suggests.

 

The issue people like me have had in the other thread is that we have have had no way to practically stop these calls and people such as Townman have made the major assumption that all of us are similar to the OP or yourself, when many of us are not.

 

Such assumptions have not helped matters and are unhelpful and insulting.It would be helpful if people like Townman stopped tying everyone up with the same motives and actually read some of the responses that were given to his earlier post on the other thread.

 

The emotive language and assumptions you have made, especially on the other thread appear troll like. You may believe you are geniunely helping, but your wide ranging assumptions are devaluing some of the important points that have been raised on the other thread.

 

I wanted to show I have no bias against Plusnet, nor expect too much from them. I don't expect them to break my communication preferences even when this does not work in my favour. It is important that they respect them though.

Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 10,155
Thanks: 1,683
Fixes: 19
Registered: 22-08-2007

Re: Contract end no warning!

"Do belt up" is offensive and uncalled for. The same could have been said to yourself but your views have been respected. The reaction to service calls has been somewhat OTT but that has not caused anyone to suggest that people should not be allowed to express their opinions.