cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract cancellation fees

yumi41
Hooked

Contract cancellation fees

Does anyone know how I can find out what the charges would be to cancel my contract with Plusnet?  We moved house in June this year and the contract is for phone/broadband/tv for 18 months.  We've had no end of wifi disconnects when the router is only about 6 feet away!!!  I phoned plusnet lots of times but haven't got to the bottom of the issues.  The last attempt to speak to someone about this was the last straw.  Last saturday I called and was waiting for 20 minutes before someone answered, then he said I need to speak to technical team and put me on hold again.  I waited for 15 minutes then hung up.  I've had to wait over 30 minutes before now to get the phone answered and its just not good enough.  

Does anyone know of an email address I can send queries to rather than have to put up with waiting for >30 minutes for my call to be answered?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Contract cancellation fees

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're having connection problems and as a result you're thinking about leaving us.

We can see the physical connection between your router and the exchange to be stable:

It's likely the problem lies between the router and your devices. Are they connected over WiFi or wired to the router?

Testing your line is showing that your router is in sync at a slow speed though.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 16.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps

From looking at your speed estimates, the downstream should be about 27mbps.

Can you run through the troubleshooting here letting us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gandalf wrote:
It's likely the problem lies between the router and your devices. Are they connected over WiFi or wired to the router?

@yumi41 wrote:

We've had no end of wifi disconnects when the router is only about 6 feet away!!!

Undecided

It's this sort of thing that makes users want to leave!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies. In that case I'd recommend the OP to run through the troubleshooting here

Thanks for the heads up jelv.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
yumi41
Hooked

Thanks for responding.  I've located the master socket and plugged into the test but still I'm not getting anywhere near 27Mbps.  The download speed came back at 15.3Mb and upload speed at 0.8Mb.  Why cant I get 27Mb like you've suggested should be available in this area?

yumi41
Hooked

Thanks for the link to "how to boost your wi-fi" page.  I've had a look at this but its not made any significant difference to the speed.  Incidentally I have disconnects from my PC which is a wired connection directly into the router.  It seems the main issue is that I should be able to see speeds of 27MB but I dont ever see speeds above 16Mb.  Any ideas?

yumi41
Hooked

Disconnects are happening over wireless and wired.  The problem seems to be getting worse I'd say as we find we need to reboot the router at least a couple of times a week these days.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If your speed hasn't changed in the test socket I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate the problem.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
yumi41
Hooked

Thanks for the link.  I've carried out the tests and at best I'm getting 16.06Mbps download speed.  I've reported a fault so will see what can be done next.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

WiFi disconnections - what devices? How perceived?

Speed measured how on those devices?

Disconnections experiences on some devices can be related to the DEVICE’s slowness in tracking WiFi channel changes or swapping between 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands. Manually setting the 2.4 channel to 1, 6 or 11 might help. Giving the 5GHz channel a distinct name can also help with Apple devices.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@yumi41 wrote:

Thanks for the link.  I've carried out the tests and at best I'm getting 16.06Mbps download speed.  I've reported a fault so will see what can be done next.

I've worked the fault ticket now and responded over here

I hope this helps

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
yumi41
Hooked

Thanks for the update.  I've responded to the fault comments with some dates and times for an engineer visit.  I hope the engineer manages to find the fault and get us some better speed and connections with our router.

Thanks for your help!

yumi41
Hooked

Wifi disconnects happening on ipads and iphones.  We've only been at this address and with plusnet since June, the same devices at our previous address (broadband with virgin) was much quicker and didn't disconnect.  Its not just the wireless devices that disconnect.  When I'm using my PC which has an ethernet cable directly into the router, often disconnects and takes a few seconds to reconnect.  Sometimes it will disconnect my VPN session completely and I have to restart the vpn session.

vouchercodes
Hooked

So are there any fees payable if I want to cancel?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@yumi41

It looks like we've booked an engineer visit for you.

Can you let us know how it goes?

@vouchercodes

I'd call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 as they'll be able to advise you on the cancellation process and of any applicable fees.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet