Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Renewal and Phasing out of Landlines

FIXED
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Contract Renewal and Phasing out of Landlines

My contract is up for Renewal in Feb but I go away next month so want to get it sorted soon.

Have been offered a decent price to renew my current package which is 'Unlimited Fibre Extra with line rental' and PN 'anytime' calls. My wife likes the landline and can't persuade her to do without just yet.

The best price is if I renew for 24 months (which I am happy to do) but what then happens if my phoneline is disconnected before the end of 2025. Presume I would be entitled to some kind of refund for any embedded line rental and the additional calls package?

TIA

PT

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Contract Renewal and Phasing out of Landlines

Can't you 'upgrade' NOW in the 'Member Centre, and convert from FTTC to SoGEA for less monthly cost, AND port your landline number to VoiP provider (such as A&A) - because doing an 'upgrade' will start a new contract - so effectively you get the do your 'renewal' early.

Having ported you landline number to VoIP, you won't have to worry about the future phone system switch-off, and your wife can carry on using the existing phone handset and number (via a VoIP adaptor) as she does now but a drastically cheaper call rates.

Converting to VoIP also makes it easier to change ISP in the future, or move home without changing landline number !

Have a look at the available upgrades to SoGEA in the 'Member Centre', and compare that to your renewal quote.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, I could do that but there is only about a tenner in it and with the amount she uses the phone I would probably save less than a fiver a month after porting to VOIP with its associated charges. There is also the possible aggro with making the change and getting it all working. I would rather train her to use her mobile over the next 2 years but was just interested to know what would happen if the landline was taken away mid contract.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 421

@PhyllisTyne 

With Xmas coming up I would not risk the hassle of porting out numbers.  There’s only a month to port your number so if things should go wrong….

The calls package is an Add On monthly service, it is not part of the 24 month contract. The difference in price between SOGEA and continuing with your current contract  will be a couple of pounds a month, so the potential financial risk is small.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks so if my landline goes I just stop paying the calls package and look for another solution (such as VOIP if she is not mobile trained 😁) when the time comes?

Anything going wrong is a significant concern as I will be abroad and she will be here on her own with no landline

Baldrick1

Fix

@PhyllisTyne 

Yes, if you cancel or change a calls package it will be actioned on your next billing day.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A FYI - A&A have an embargo on porting landline numbers leading up to chrimbo and just past new year (IIRC)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, just heard about that. A colleague just requested a port yesterday and its not scheduled until 02/01/2024 whereas you would normally expect within 5 days. Probably because they wouldnt want to be trying to contact porting help desks over the holiday period in the event of porting failures, and leaving customers without service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

It was something that passed before my retinas whilst arranging a new number VoIP account yesterday. The "IIRC" was a pre-emptive correction in case I had mis-remembered or misread (or was having a senior moment).