cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Length?

BlueMeany
Grafter

Contract Length?

Something very strange, or sneaky, going on.
When I signed up for plusnet back in October, the deal was £2.99 a month for broadband unlimited when taken with a phone package. The contract length was 12 month.
Just saw a link on the forum, mentioned in changing your product, which when I went to it said that I was five months into an 18 month contract.
What is going on? The fibre broadband were 18 month contracts, but I'm on crappy ADSL (not even ADSL2!)
Can someone please confirm to me 1) the mistake & 2) how much I would have to pay to migrate elsewhere (can't handle this ridiculous 6Mb download speed any longer - streaming is virtually impossible unless I'm the only one in the house using internet)
Account 02335329
16 REPLIES 16
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Contract Length?

Hi BlueMeany,
I'm sorry for any confusion caused.
I've had a look into your account and can confirm that you signed up to an 18 month contract with a discount on your broadband for the first 12 months. This was outlined in your welcome email which we sent to you on the 07/11/2013. This means that your discounts apply for 12 months but your full contract length is 18 months.
As your exchange is only 20CN enabled even if you changed providers you would more than likely not see an increase in your download speed. Unless Virgin Media are available in your area and can offer you Fibre which from the looks of things they are not.
From what you've stated there shouldn't be any issues for you to stream with 6Mbps download speed. If you're experiencing issues then I would suggest raising a fault here: http://faults.plus.net
I've created Ticket: 84968605 on your account to detail how much your charges would be if you cancelled now.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you could post all the information requested in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html we can look to see if there is anything to be done to improve your speeds. Note however that on a 20CN only exchange the fastest actual speed you can get from any ISP is around 6900kbps.
If you post your exchange name we can look to see if any improvement is in the offing (e.g. Fibre through the BDUK program).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BlueMeany
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.
Must admit that didn't receive any emails on 7th November, have only just looked back in the 'questions' and noticed a load of messages from around that date. Was super-certain the contract was 12 month. I'll see what topcashback come back with (signed up through them) from that date.
Was previously o2 broadband which was LLU. Download speed has dropped by 1/2 from that (was 13Mb), and upload dropped by 1/3 (was 1Mb). Had I known that 'upto 16Mb' would have meant such a dramatic tail off, not sure I would have changed (when I moved from plusnet to o2 a few years back, the o2 was advertised as 'upto 16Mb' too)
Still suppose that is my own fault.
I have two Smart TV's and a desktop PC connected via cable, and 2 tablets, 3 mobiles, a wii and at times a laptop connected by wifi (large family). Streaming at 'busy' times just doesn't happen. ITV player just stalls and then have to restart the program from beginning. If one is watching netflix then everything else crawls. I have put a bit of QOS in through my router (Netgear N300).
My exchange is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCBUS
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Sky and TalkTalk (or an ISP using the TalkTalk network) would give you faster speeds.
I see some areas of your exchange have FTTC - does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say if it is available to you? (it might give a date it is due)
BlueMeany
Grafter

Exchange is saying accepting orders for FTTC, and plusnet is listed. Can I change to fibre or not?
BlueMeany
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

I see some areas of your exchange have FTTC - does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say if it is available to you? (it might give a date it is due)

I'm presuming not :
BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01704****** on Exchange BURSCOUGH is served by Cabinet 13
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.
The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.
If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.
Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You might be able to find out about plans through https://www.superfastlancashire.com/home
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Ah, someone else in Burscough!  There's been quite a lot of fibre cabinets pop up since the end of last year, but they are only just starting to become active.  I placed an order to go to FTTC last week and am waiting for the engineer on the 12th.  I manage other accounts in the area, and a couple of them I know there are definitely new cabinets covering the properties, but it's not currently available.  Am parents was available to order about 2 weeks before before my cabinet, so keep an eye out and it may be available in the next few weeks.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@BlueMeany
It would be worth finding your cabinet (it will have the 13 stencilled on it) and looking to see if there is any sign of activity nearby which suggests a new FTTC cabinet is being installed.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I've just realised which cabinet your on.  I'm waiting for that one as well.  The fibre cabinet is there (just opposite the village school), so it should be available anytime now.  I'm wanting to put it in the church offices which are just over the road.
Edit: Actually it is probably about 10m closer to School Lane than the school.  Just been looking at it on Google Maps, as it's right next to the original cabinet.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BlueMeany
Grafter

Wooohoooo so this sounds like blinking good news to me!
Presumably then I can just transfer to plusnet fibre. I've registered interest  on the bt site so hopefully will get an email.
Do I have to wait until I get that email, as plusnet is still saying not available on my line when trying to upgrade.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Keep an eye on the cabinet - when it goes live it's likely to have stickers plastered over it about fibre being available.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

The other ones in the area that are taking orders haven't got them yet.  I've been checking here every couple of days for the lines I want fibre one.  So far 2 of them are, and I'm just waiting on the line on that same cabinet.
BlueMeany, I'll try and remember to let you know when I spot it.
Phil

BlueMeany
Grafter

Quote from: pjmarsh
The other ones in the area that are taking orders haven't got them yet.  I've been checking here every couple of days for the lines I want fibre one.  So far 2 of them are, and I'm just waiting on the line on that same cabinet.
BlueMeany, I'll try and remember to let you know when I spot it.
Phil

Thanks Phil  Smiley