Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion over 'regrade' from FTTC to ADSL2+

Anonymous
Not applicable

Confusion over 'regrade' from FTTC to ADSL2+

Hi
Last week I booked a 'regrade' back to ADSL2+ from my current FTTC product.  A ticket was opened (#73811055, see also tickets #73817047 and #73810941) saying that the change would complete on 4th September, and that the next action was due at 7.00am on the 4th.
I rang today to see if I could find out what time the change was likely to happen - and was told it was in fact booked for Friday 6th...  The CSC agent has added to my ticket saying it has been released from hold and sent back to BOT - Regrades, (whatever that means) but it still says the next action will be tomorrow at 7.00am...
Could a kindly member of PlusNet staff please check and confirm what will really happen?  I must say I was happier with the thought of it happening tomorrow as it gave a bit more opportunity to sort any problems out before the weekend...
Also, I note that my tickets don't give an estimate of the speed I should (might?) get after my return to ADSL - my account is showing a rather odd figure - which looks bizarrely low for FTTC and equally bizarrely high for adsl given that I'm about 3km from the exchange!:
'Estimated line speed:21Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.)  - Checked on 2013-08-28 15:57:13Current line speed:77.4 Mb'
Thanks
Alan
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Confusion over 'regrade' from FTTC to ADSL2+

Hi there,
Just checked the order and it is indeed due to complete on the 6th, I'd guess the delay was due to an engineer being required to rejumper the line at the exchange for you. He won't need to visit your premises though.
As for speed estimates, if you check your phone number at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ it should give you a fair idea Smiley
Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Matt
Yes, I appreciate that an engineer will be needed  - not just at the exchange, I think, but also at the green cabinet at the end of my street...  is that all part of the plan?  Undecided
As for the speed estimate...  Yes, I do know how to get one from elsewhere,  Smiley but to quote from the PlusNet website at: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed-check-estimates.shtml 'We will provide a speed estimate for your line when you sign up to our services, change product or move house'.  and 'If you have a speed problem within the first three months of your service and we cannot fix it we will waive all contractual obligations and allow you to leave us for free'. It seems that this applies: 'We'd rather you didn't leave, but if you do decide to try another provider we'll waive any cancellation fees providing the following criteria applies:
• You have raised a speed fault within the first 70 days of your service
• Your fault has been open for 14 days or more
• You have given us a chance to investigate and resolve the problem, including access for an engineer if needed
• Your profile speed is at least 1Mb below the provided estimate
• Your profile speed is significantly lower than the estimate provided to you'
The link you provided indicated I could expect 'up to 5Mbps' and a downstream range of '4-6Mbps'.  This is much what I was told on the phone when arranging the regrade - but surely this should have been put in writing to me somewhere - on the ticket or in an email, perhaps?  I thought you were required to do that, and without it, how would I be able to persuade you to 'waive all contractual obligations'?
Please could I have an estimate in writing somewhere?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I think, but also at the green cabinet at the end of my street...  is that all part of the plan?

Yes, the line would need to be removed from the fibre cabinet and rerouted as part of the job.
Please could I have an estimate in writing somewhere?

Sure, I've added that to ticket 74036757 which you should be able to see whilst logged into http://contactus.plus.net
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Adam, greatly appreciated  Grin
waynepyrah
Grafter

why would you downgrade from fibre back to adsl ?Huh
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly I can no longer afford to pay £19.99 plus line rental every month...  Downgrading to Fibre essentials (I think that's what it's called) would only have saved me £5 a month, and because PlusNet have come up with new names for their fibre products since I started on Fibre extra, I would have to sign up for a new 18 month contract - which I can't do at the moment.  By changing back to ADSL, I have managed to save £15 a month for 9 months and then £10 a month after that, and only have to commit to a 12 month contract.
I'm sure I won't appreciate the drop in speed  Angry but I will appreciate the extra money  Smiley