cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused over ' BROADBAND ONLY' package on website

ljb

Confused over ' BROADBAND ONLY' package on website

I am a relatively new customer to PLUS NET. I found on a comparison site they would be far cheaper than Virgin who had charged me far too much and I didn't like there service. Although I had been with them for years I should have left after I moved from a fibre-optic area and could no longer get Virgin Media TV.
I found the customer service people really helpful and they spent a lot of time explaining the deals and saved me money on finding out that I didn't need an installation fee as I was just sent the router and set it up myself.
What I am confused about is that on the main page for their products it's listed that you can get ' broadband only' but when I go to 'availability' it just sends me to my package page and 'change my package' . I wanted to be able to find out what it is and if I can have it. I appreciate I need a land line for the router, but I would much rather not have to have a home phone as I took out a mobile contract which has unlimited calls, which costs me an eye watering £50 per month.
So if anyone could tell me if I can just have broadband I would be very greatful . Smiley  Grin Grin
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Confused over ' BROADBAND ONLY' package on website

You have to have a BT wholesale line rental but it can be from anyone (e.g. Plusnet, BT Retail, Post Office)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

I think the confusion here is that you can have "broadband only" with Plusnet, but you would still have to pay someone for line rental.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That is covered in the FAQs linked from the Broadband only page:
[quote=http://www.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml#equipment]What equipment will I need?
You'll need:
  • An active Plusnet or other BT compatible landline
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    w23
    Pro
    Fixes: 4

http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/article.asp?id=line-rentals-uk&kt=20681 A small saving possible on line rental.
    Call me 'w23'
    At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
    Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
    ljb

Thank you for your replies ,
    But it still doesn't say why they say they provide a 'broadband only' and why I HAVE to have a home phone. The only benefit of having a home phone is that I have an answer phone for when I can't get contacted on my mobile ( which is rare) But I have to remember to check my phone as there is no flashing light. Also I get SOOOO many nuisance calls because when I was with VIRGIN I ended up changing my number 3 times and still get calls for the previous owner of that number. Now I am MRS JACKSON.
    I rarely make calls from my landline, I don't know the charges , and as I have unlimited usage on my mobile I would much rather not get charged for having a phone line, I know you need a landline and pay landline charges for the internet. But why can't I just pay for that and not having a phone too? If they say they provide just broadband , why can't I get that? And if I can why haven't they made the site easier to find that out?
    Oldjim
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 63

I am not sure what your problem is
    If you go to the main site http://www.plus.net/ and hover over Residential you would see as per the picture and clicking on Broadband Only gets you here http://www.plus.net/broadband/?source=mainNav which gives the Broadband Only options.
    Regarding the phone line - you need to have a phone line in order to have broadband but the phone line can be with any supplier other than local loop unbundled.
    There have been a number of requests for broadband only but the fact is that someone has to pay BT Openreach for supplying and maintaining the line from the exchange to your house and under the present pricing structure that is done via the voice line rental. The fact that Plusnet throw in Evening and Weekend calls whereas BT only include weekend calls is a marketing decision.
    However and I think this may partly answer your question - you have to pay for the phone line but you don't have to plug a phone into it
    Regarding your original question you go to your current products because you are already logged in - cookies again
    If you go to a browser where you aren't remembered you get to here - see second picture - but when you put in your phone number you are recognised as a customer
    kdoug007
    Grafter

if i may  just  add...  i have  my  line  rental with BT(   although  will be  changing it  in due  course)..
    that said  my  PN......  broadband    was £6.49  per mth  10gb ,,   but  decided  to go  for £11.49 per mnth    60 gbs,
     . of  course  everyone   knows  apx  what   usage they   may require    
    Anotherone
    Champion
    Fixes: 21

@ljb
    You may find this http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/hpc_summary.asp?pid=443&kt=20681~ps~siteid3~articleid476~gtl a better option for your LL rental if you don't want to use it for o/g calls. I'd still suggest you have a basic corded phone to plug into it, because it's a good idea to be able to check your line is working correctly when you have a problem with your broadband. It is a 12 month contract and judging by some reports don't ever have a failed DD with them.