cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by pricing

netherfield
Dabbler

Confused by pricing

Interested in unlimited fibre, why is it new customers can get a better deal than existing @£5 a month less, prices include line rental, I'm already paying BT for line rental, does this mean PN want to take over this rental fee.

BT broadband availability checker states I'm connected to Honley Cabinet 18, FTTP is available, but below the box it states FTTP is not available.  On a pole outside I can see what I believe is a fibre cable coiled up.

Then there is another statement 'There is an open order on your line which is due to be completed by 05-jul-2020'  what does this mean?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Confused by pricing

@netherfield 

There's a few issues here:

1. If you're Line Rental is with BT then Plusnet will not allow you to change your contract to Fibre unless you move your telephone service over to them. They simply don't offer broadband only contracts any more although they allow those on existing contracts to keep their service. Upgrading counts as a new contract. To be honest splitting the suppliers like this is lousy value for money and can cause all sort of issues if you develop a fault where it's not obvious whether it's a phone line or broadband problem.

2. On the ADSL Checker do not confuse FTTP on Demand with their residential service. FTTP On Demand costs £1000s to install and is not for mere mortals. Either way, Plusnet do not offer a FTTP service so you would need to change ISP.

3. I can't comment on the open order.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@netherfield  What Broadband service do you currently have, is it fairly slow ADSL from BT? If that is the case the open order could be an upgrade to FTTC. I am not saying it is that but BT have been upgrading mainly rural customers on slow ADSL lines to FTTC with no cost increase. They are trying to remove the ADSL equipment from the exchange. What speeds does the checker give for ADSL and FTTC? The coiled up cable may mean FTTP is coming but who knows when, it could be months or years away.😊

netherfield
Dabbler

I'm on an ADSL from Plusnet and have been for near on 15 years, the phone line is with BT though.

ADSL 3.9 Mbps Down   and 0.44 Up

I can't say I understand all the different figures but I assume at worst

VDSL 60 Mbps Down and 20Mbps Up.

It's been somewhat bearable until now, but I've got Son-in-law working from home for the local council , and with maybe lots of people being at home as well the amount of data he produces is making the whole thing struggle.This was only supposed to be for 2 weeks, but all house buying/selling has been stopped and it could be months yet.

I'm also a little peeved that established customers are expected to pay more than new ones are.

You'll probably understand the attachment better than I do.

It seems like a few years since now that BT were asking people to sign up if they were interested in fibre, I guess to gauge if it was worth doing or not, so maybe that the open order explained.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@netherfield  If you have ADSL with PlusNet it is unlikely that the open order is related to a Fibre upgrade so I have no idea what it could be. Your ADSL connection is pretty miserable so you have done well to manage at all with those speeds.

In normal circumstances I would say just upgrade to FTTC  with PlusNet, that will however mean moving your line rental to them. You should get speeds of above 70Mbps down and around 18Mbps up so huge improvement on your current speeds.

Usually a fibre upgrade and line transfer would be no problem and not require any engineer visit to the property but if something went wrong as it can do, there seem to be customers seeing problems and delays on upgrades, you may have difficulty getting it sorted, so it is a bit of a risk in the current lockdown situation. PlusNet customer support is struggling to cope.

Then there is the question of full fibre (FTTP) which may be on its way, and PlusNet don't offer that at present but may do in the future. So migrating your broadband to BT would then allow you to change to FTTP if it became available.

So a few things to think about.🤔