cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused and Disapointed about time to connect at new address.

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

Confused and Disapointed about time to connect at new address.

hello.
30/4 informed PN via telephone conversation I was moving from existing address on 2/5 and wanted to transfer my exact same package to my new address. account at old address would be cancelled as of 2/5.
was informed there was some kind of problem that I didn't fully understand regarding the connection at the new address - along the lines that the new place didn't have a landline and checks had to be done....it does and I was in contact with the then current owners on the very phoneline on a daily basis up to the move - oddly during the call to request the above a "speedtest" was done on the new address, odd if it didn't have a line?
so now I just got the latest update via text and am told an engineer will visit to connect me on the 21/5....connect me to what? I am connected and a number exists for the address, its just not working. I have a dial tone as I have since day 1 but no services work.
3 weeks to reconnect a phone line that has happily been working for the previous owners? i am missing my BB. whats going on?
thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Confused and Disapointed about time to connect at new address.

Hi monkeyexpressPF,
I'm sorry to hear there's been a delay to the services being connected in your new property. I've had a look into this and it seems that the line that was connected at the property has since been disconnected which means that there isn't an active or stopped line reflecting at the property for us to provide the services on. We therefore have to place an order to arrange for an engineer to attend to install/re-connect the new line at the property. As this relies on engineer availability the earliest appointment we could secure in your area was for 21/05/2014.
I can confirm that this is being monitored on Ticket: 84980641 by our House Moves team and they will continue to monitor this until completion and also issue you a refund for the downtime during your housemove once the services are connected at the new property.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

thanks for the reply...
what I am not understanding and hopefully you can clear up is...I assumed, wrongly? that when someone moved home the phone line account was like the energies accounts...you cancel them so you can pay up to the right date. gas and electricity are still connected and as the new owners we take over the costs and can change supplier if we want.
what's happened to the current phone line/number? I had need to call it on move day 2/5 and it worked but since then it doesn't seem to have even ever existed. I understand the previous owners were with BT.
I just need an explanation of why its not like energies and needs such a long changeover time.
thank you.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

That would depend on the cooperation of the previous owner I'm afraid. Sounds like in this case they just cancelled with BT.  Cry
With other services it's usually just a meter reading that's required and no physical work so a much easier process. And often minimal choice of supplier so less complexity.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Linn
I've had a look into this and it seems that the line that was connected at the property has since been disconnected which means that there isn't an active or stopped line reflecting at the property for us to provide the services on.

Quote from: monkeyexpressPF
I have a dial tone as I have since day 1

Something doesn't stack up here!
@monkeyexpressPF
Do you still have a dial tone? If so dial 17070 and see if it gives you a number. If it does, PMing that to Linn might move things forward.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
Sounds like in this case they just cancelled with BT.  Cry
Or maybe a records mess-up in BT? @jelv's suggestion re 17070 is excellent.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

now I am confused..
number that was used before we moved was used by previous owners for ever as far as I know.
yesterdays update from PN gives a new provisional number for the 21/5
using 17070 gives a 3rd different number to the two above.
I will PM Linn to read this post.....a bit annoyed now if 17070 could have got this issue moving a week ago.
thank you.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

additional.
when I try phoning the number I had always assumed was the correct one for this address I get "you have dialled an incorrect number" message. (it did work when previous owners were here as I used it regularly).
when I call the number that 17070 gives me it does nothing with no message.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the PM, monkeyexpressPF.
As I explained previously, this number that you've confirmed to me in the PM is not an active number anymore, hence, why I explained that the line was connected at the property previously but has since been disconnected at your local Exchange.
I can understand that it may be a bit confusing considering that you were able to call that number to reach the previous tenants before they moved out. When they stopped their services with their provider it seems that instead of stopping the line they ceased it instead which means that it's disconnected and requires an engineer to attend to re-connect it.
Hope this clears things up but if you have any further questions just let me know.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Linn the number given by 17070 is NOT the number used by the previous occupier (see reply #6).
If it is disconnected how come it's got a dial tone and he can dial 17070?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro

The reality is that the line is still physically connected to the exchange (probably "parked"), so it's just a software switch to enable it with whatever number BT allocate.
So BT are really taking the proverbial here.  Angry But they will charge PN who need to pass that charge on.
Sadly, it does appear that the previous occupiers did the "wrong" thing, probably in ignorance.  Cry
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

Quote from: Linn
Thanks for the PM, monkeyexpressPF.
As I explained previously, this number that you've confirmed to me in the PM is not an active number anymore,
Hope this clears things up but if you have any further questions just let me know.

to be clear Linn: I have a dialing tone right now and have had since the day I moved in
tbh no, its as clear as mud to me. the number I provided you in the PM is the number 17070 gave me 45 mins ago and is the first I knew of this number existing, so not sure how it has any bearing on any previous checks PN may have done...the only other number I provided was on the 30/4 as per my OP and was the number I knew had worked at this address in the past.
looks like I just need to wait till the 21/5..... what I will not accept is if I wait till the 21/5 and the engineer just says, oh, you already have a line no need for all this blah blah blah
thanks.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry, I meant that the OP could call the line when it was active, not the number in question.
monkeyexpressPF, the number you sent me in the PM will be a "ghost number", however, it's not reflecting at the property. It may be that the previous owners line was registered under a different address (this happens sometimes when there's a mismatch of data in OpenReach's systems). As the line is no longer active it means that we're not able to ascertain where the line is reflecting, all I can confirm is that the address that you provided us with for the house move does not reflect any stopped line or working lines.
When you registered for the house move we will have ran a test based on the number you provided (which was at that point, active) and this is how we were able to give you the estimated speeds for broadband on this line. My colleague that you spoke to in the House Moves department to organise the house move tried to send an email querying the location of the line with the number you provided us with then as he couldn't locate it under the address that you provided (hence why it's led me to believe that the line is registered under a different address). Unfortunately it seems that the system was unable to update the line location before it was stopped.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

ok, thank you.
clear as mud to me especially as I have a dial tone but i'll be patient till the 21st.
thank you.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

update.
all sorted connection wise. engineer sorted this AM.
phone and BB working.
happy overall but seems an ancient way in this day and age to be 3 weeks with no connection.....could I just draw attention to the relevant dates.
no connection whatsoever from 2/5 - 20/5 so if the billing can be adjusted and if I could have email confirmation that would be great.
thanks to the +net team, it all got sorted in the timescale promised.