cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused already about my new order

yorkiepudd
Grafter

Confused already about my new order

Decided to go with PN for FTTC after much deliberating.
Using online chat, Michele was very helpful with advice about everything and stayed with me during the online application.
Just sloghtly confused now as when I told Michele that I was currently on a Sky llu for my phone / broadband, she told me a MAC would be no good for this changeover and in fact if I had contacted sky they would probably put a cease on my line and it would end up costing me a lot more, and that PN would handle all the paperwork from here on in.
i was very grateful for that advice, but now when I log into my account it says the following . . . .
Your broadband order
Once your phone service has been switched to us, your broadband service will also be switched. This usually happens on the same day. Your broadband should carry on working with your current provider until the switch is completed.
If you haven't already, you'll need to let your current broadband and phone provider know you're moving to us.

So, you see why I'm confused. Do I need to contact Sky or not?
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Confused already about my new order

No,  Sky and the Dreaded TT are known to do as Michele said, they dump you and cut the line, this is against OFCOM rules.
But when you line is successfully moved, make sure that Sky stop taking any money from you
yorkiepudd
Grafter

I was thinking that Michele was probably correct and that the info I am seeing is just a standard computer-generated page with generic info on it.
Thanks for your reassurance  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not sure about that.
If it was standard broadband I would agree but not for FTTC
The only way this can happen in the way it has been described is for you to start on standard ADSL then move to FTTC afterwards as FTTC requires BT to set it up specially including a visit from the BT engineer for which their is usually a lead time of a couple of weeks
I would hope that the Digital Care Team will pick this up on Monday and clarify things
yorkiepudd
Grafter

I am taking the home phone as well (also currently with Sky)  - does that make any difference ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is where the problem may well occur.
Once the phone moves Sky may cancel the Broadband and you won't have a connection until the Fibre install happens
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Looks from your account like we'll be in touch soon to arrange the engineer appointment, I suspect if at all possible we'll get the fibre installed and then move the phone line over as that'll mean minimum disruption to either service - though I'm afraid there'll still be some downtime on the broadband.
yorkiepudd
Grafter

Thanks for the info Matt  8). Will someone contact me when you have more info regarding this? I would appreciate knowing how much downtime we are talking about once this gets under way. I am starting to regret this somewhat already  Sad I thought migration was supposed to be easy and straightforward these days  Shocked
yorkiepudd
Grafter

Just had a call from PN to say the order has been placed and installation booked for the 28th.
I queried the above points and I was told to give it 24/48 hours then contact Sky one they have received the order, and hopefully the phone and fibre will all be done at the same time.
Lets hope it goes to plan lol
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Glad someone called and cleared things up for you, that's great news Smiley Anything at all we can do to help please let us know.
yorkiepudd
Grafter

Just a bit more info in case it is of help to any other users.
I rang Sky today and spoke to a very helpful man, who told me that I was given the correct information to start with, there had been no need to ring them as everything happens in the background, but he took some notes anyway of who I was moving to etc.
I have also had a text message confirming when my phone service is due to move and also an email about the fibre connection, so everything seems to be happening just as it should, and communication seems top notch.
The phone service and engineer install are both confirmed for the 28th, however the fibre is confirmed as going live by midnight on the 29th? I don't quite get this as if the engineer is doing the install, would the fibre not go live at the sime time? I'm not sure about this but at worst it's only a day so lets see what happens and i'll post an update on here if it may be of help to anyone going through a similar change.
It would seem that it was just that comment on the account screen that caused the confusion - maybe something that could be addressed by PN for the future to see if this could be clarified for different types of moves???
yorkiepudd
Grafter

And now my router has turned up!! No delay there then  Grin
yorkiepudd
Grafter

Well, it was an almost seamless process. Fibre was up and running immediately on installation (after the engineer had rung my mobile asking for my landline number as he hadn't been supplied with it!!!) , the phone was down for about 6 hours (but I believe Sky turned it off before BT changed it over as when I rang my own number it gave a "network busy" reponse).
Everything seems OK since apart from yesterday when my router had a stale connection and only when I rang CS did I get a recorded message advising me to reboot (there was nothing on the website / service status at the time which there should have been really).
Other than that, no  problems.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi yorkiepudd,
Glad to hear it went well, and sorry about the service status messaging - we'll make sure that gets fed back this morning. If there's anything we can look at or help with at all please let us know.