Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused after name server change

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Confused after name server change

123-reg have a domain diagnostic tool if you have a domain with them.
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support//protected/troubleshooting.aspx
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav
Fixes: 515

Thanks Strat.
Ran that on both domains in question and no problems reported.
Perhaps it's me and I am not understanding how things work?
Am I correct in thinking that if the IPS Tag and name servers are changed away from PlusNet then I shouldn't get any emails sent to those domains until forwarding is set?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav

One of my questions has now been closed so I have been able to open a new question (#51517891).
As I would like to get the problems sorted before my move to LLU on the 1st could one of the DC team please take a look for me if you have the chance?
Thanks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Even though you believe you haven't set anything up at 123-reg to handle domain emails have you actually checked those domain email settings (Control Panel then Manage email)? For example is there a catchall setting to forward emails to your Plusnet address?
David
David
Mav

Well, well.
I did check all 5 domains last week and could see no forwarding set. Also, I remember when I set up hosting only wih PlusNet some years ago I cancelled all email forwarding on each and every one of them.
Now I see that there is forwarding to name_postmaster@mypndomain.plus.com for both the domains in question. I have now deleted these.
Now a test email to both domains returns the following error:
550:Unknown user
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout01.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

At this point I think it best to move this to it's proper home
Mav

I think I have this solved...
I don't have any mail boxes explicity set with 123reg and they come at a cost and with no mail forwarding set there seems to be nowhere for the email to go.
I have temporarily set a email forwarding to the right address (it should be received on SWMBO's PC and it was).
Now I will still await a response from my tiockets as I also wanted to know why the domains were still showing in the portal.
So, it seems that what I did first of all, simply changing the name servers was the correct process after all Cheesy

Mav

Received a call this morning from lovely lady at PN who suggested it would be better to discus this over the phone rather than using the ticket system.
It seems that I did everything correct in the first place but just got myself confused because the I couldn't see any email forwarding set at that time with 123reg's Control Panel.
She informed me that there was no problem keeping my domains with PlusNet once I have downgraded to PAYG and even said I could transfer the two already moved back again Smiley
I was told I would not be able to access my webspace as you need to actually dial in for that but I rarely use the space anyway.
I was totally gobsmacked with this level of service considering I am leaving the day after tomorrow, so a huge thanks for the support.
So, I assume that if I do not make any changes to the email settings in Outlook 2007 I will be able to continue receiving all emails after my move on Wednesday.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

An excellent outcome. Smiley
David