cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Practice? Thank you PlusNet for disconnecting my broadband prematurely!

scottaromsey

Common Practice? Thank you PlusNet for disconnecting my broadband prematurely!

After numerous telephone calls and emails, i am still no further to receiving any explaination (or apology for that matter!) as to why my broadband services were ceased early. As a Graduate Law Student, I understand how contract law works! I believe this is a breach of contract. Have I received the words "I'm sorry" from PlusNet? No. Am I suprised? No. Have I been greatly inconvienced by all this? Yes. Will I continue pursuing this matter? Absolutely.
I believe I have been very patient with PlusNet but as a gesture of good will, I am willing to give PlusNet this one last chance to create a solution to this complaint otherwise I will pursuing the matter with Ofcom (the Ombudsman that deals with this matte)r. I am extremely aggreived that I keep receiving verbal; assurances that PlusNet will look into the matter and call me back. Have I received such a call? No. Good customer service? No. 
Unfortunately, I have had many problems with the service from PlusNet and I for one will never be using them again. It angers me as to the lack of legal remedies available to me when PlusNet effectively breaches their contract with me yet if the roles were reversed, it wouldn't be long before the debt collectors coming knocking at the door...It would be nice if future legal reform addresses this issue and gives greater protection to the customer.
17 REPLIES 17
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Common Practice? Thank you PlusNet for disconnecting my broadband prematurely!

Hi there,
I'm sorry that that happened as it did, the line certainly shouldn't have been ceased early. We've addressed this internally and will do our utmost to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Regarding the rest of the issues you mention you'd need to follow our complaints procedure before raising this to Ofcom - you can find details on how to do that here: http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/complaints_code_of_practice.shtml
I hope they're able to help, once again we're very sorry for how this happened.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Common Practice? Thank you PlusNet for disconnecting my broadband prematurely!

Sorry Matt, AFAIUI, there is no obligation to use the complaints procedure. You can complain to OFCOM, Trading Standards, the ASA about any issues related to their responsibilities at anytime.
James
Grafter

Yes, Chris is correct.  Anyone is able to complain to Ofcom, etc, should they wish to do so.
@Scott
I'm really sorry this has happened.  I can assure you that it was in no way deliberate.
If you would like to follow the link that Matt has given you, you can raise a complaint to us and one of my guys will pick it up for you.
BryanP
Grafter

Although it is correct that you can complain directly to the relevant bodies it is always good practice to follow the company you are complaining about complaints procedure, in this way if you are still not satisfied with their response it would strengthen your case and result in a quicker outcome
Anotherone
Champion

Please note BrianP, there is a difference between asking for an adjudication on some decision that a Company has made that you are not happy about, and complaining about instances where a company might be in breach of regulations or the law. Or indeed complaining to the Regulator about their ineffectiveness at ensuring regulations are complied with, or even shortcomings in the Regulations!
scottaromsey

Thank you for your responses but @Plusnet I'm still not at all happy with your response especially "we've addressed this internally and will do our utmost to make sure it doesn't happen again." That's all well and good but how does that address my particur grievance?  As with previous comments, I have raised this issue with yourselves on numerous occassions. The next step for me is to now contact the Ombudsman. PlusNet have been made aware of my issues and I am not wasting any more of my time pursuing this martter with yourselves as your clearly not interested in actually assisting me with this matter.
I am deeply saddened by the situation I now find myself in but I believe I have been fair and patient in trying to conclude this matter amicably with yourselves at PlusNet. I have no choice but to now contact the Ombudsman. I would like to thank the other users for their comments regarding this issue and I hope that no oine else has to forgo the issues I have been through especially in regards to PlusNet's "customer service" (or lack of it I should say).
James
Grafter

Hi Scott,
We've suggested that you raise a formal complaint (as per Matt's link above).
This team is in place to specifically deal with complaints, which you have not done as of yet. I completely appreciate the frustration, but I'm not really sure what you are expecting Ofcom to do on your behalf. They may elect to defer the complaint to us (in which case it would be the same as if you had raised a formal complaint) or they may take no action other than logging your complaint on their records.  It is extremely unlikely that they would take any action off the back of a single complaint.
I am not trying to take anything away from the fact that we did (unintentionally) act in error with regards to the cessation of your telephone line.  It boils down to a simple human error and if we could take it all back, we would. Your best course of action at this point would be to raise a formal complaint so that my team can look into things for you.
scottaromsey

Hi James (Complaint's Manager),
You state that I am required to take my grievance to the complaints department but I note that you are a Complaint's Manager, so is this really necessary? I believe that the Complaint Department should now be fully aware of my grievance and therefore this is not required. I trust that, in your role as a Complaint's Manager, that this matter can now be bought to a swift conclusion.  I would like to remind you once again how inconvienanced I have been as a result of early disconnection and therefore as I have not used a full months of internet and phone services, I would consider it almost dishonest of you to take payment for services that you have failed to provide, whether by human error or other.
I urgantly await your response.

Anotherone
Champion

This forum isn't an official support channel, although Plusnet staff do provide support here. It's also not "formally documented" as would be the official complaints channel, so it would undoubtedly be best to follow the link and use that. However, if you can't log in to your account at the Portal then making an on-line complaint would be impossible  Roll_eyes
I would guess that there would also be some tickets (otherwise known as Questions) on your account that you may wish to refer to.
If you cannot access the account, I'd suggest ring up, ask for a supervisor/manager and request for the account to be re-enabled (as a Dial-up if need be) so that you can access your "Questions" and the other relevant parts of your account, and the On-line Complaints procedure.
PS. Plusnet staff on here work office hours Mon-Fri.
BryanP
Grafter

Quote from: BryanP
Although it is correct that you can complain directly to the relevant bodies it is always good practice to follow the company you are complaining about complaints procedure, in this way if you are still not satisfied with their response it would strengthen your case and result in a quicker outcome
Quote from: Anotherone
Please note BrianP, there is a difference between asking for an adjudication on some decision that a Company has made that you are not happy about, and complaining about instances where a company might be in breach of regulations or the law. Or indeed complaining to the Regulator about their ineffectiveness at ensuring regulations are complied with, or even shortcomings in the Regulations!
Quote from: Jameseh

I think the following response will justify my answer to you dispite what other people might say
Hi Scott,
This team is in place to specifically deal with complaints, which you have not done as of yet. I completely appreciate the frustration, but I'm not really sure what you are expecting Ofcom to do on your behalf. They may elect to defer the complaint to us (in which case it would be the same as if you had raised a formal complaint) or they may take no action other than logging your complaint on their records.  It is extremely unlikely that they would take any action off the back of a single complaint.
I am not trying to take anything away from the fact that we did (unintentionally) act in error with regards to the cessation of your telephone line.  It boils down to a simple human error and if we could take it all back, we would. Your best course of action at this point would be to raise a formal complaint so that my team can look into things for you.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry your point is?
BryanP
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Scott,

To Anotherone
See above
Anotherone
Champion

Not only have I not suggested he doesn't follow that procedure, in my reply #9, I suggested he did follow the link provided. Perhaps you could read my reply #9 again and follow Matt's link and then you might understand reply #9 and why I've said what I've said. You have completely missed the point that I was making.
BryanP
Grafter

I have no objection to #9 as we both agree on, but my point was in response to your #5
adie:quote