cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing an account on my fathers behalf

seanbranagh
Grafter

Closing an account on my fathers behalf

I seem to be having a bit of an issue going round in circles with PN trying to close my Dad's account on his behalf.
I set up the account in April 2010 simply because a phone line was needed at his address. The broadband connection was only taken because it was easier to order both.
My Dad has been ill all this time and his condition has further deteriorated and he has now moved in with family. The PN account is no longer required and I am trying to cancel it.
It was me who set up this account in 2010 and I am the person with all login / access details but because I used my Dad's name when setting up the account, PN will not close it when I ask.
They are insisting that my Dad needs to contact them instead. My Dad has never used a computer in his life and is certainly not going to start now. He is also at this stage not capable of having a telephone conversation.
When I set up the account, I made it very clear that I was doing it on behalf of someone else and this was no issue so why is it an issue now?
Short of posing as my Dad on the phone (I am an honest person and do not want to do that), how on earth can I get this service cancelled?
On the phone with PN I was told that a support ticket could be opened requesting to add my own name as an authorized user on the account.
I tried that and got a rather abrupt response "DPA Fail. Not authorized user."
I am now at a loss as to how to cancel this service?
3 REPLIES 3
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Closing an account on my fathers behalf

Could your father write a letter to Plusnet? Just an idea.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

DC guys will pick this up Sean.
Sorry to hear he's not well.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Sean,
I've dropped you a PM.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.