cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Account - Anyone know how Broadband cancellation fee is calculated?

rhinocratic
Grafter

Closing Account - Anyone know how Broadband cancellation fee is calculated?

Hi
I'm cancelling broadband and phone accounts  Sad  I've sold the house and will be travelling for approx 6 months before moving to new property and I'll then rejoin plusnet  Cheesy
I spoke to someone in cancellations this afternoon who told me the contract doesn't expire till July. Presumably I'm on an 18 month contract. I said I'd ring back later but I didn't get home in time in the meantime he's kindly updated my account summary thus:
09/01/2013 BP01311784 Plusnet Unlimited £16.99(monthly) Complete
23/01/2013 - Unlimited £48.75 (upon cancellation) Complete -
- - Cessation charge £30.00 (upon cancellation) Activated
09/01/2013 N/A Talk Anytime £14.99 (monthly) Active
I understand the £30 Cessation Charge but I can't work out the Unlimited cancellation charge of £48.75. I'm not doubting it but I just can't work it out
Billing date is 28th of the month and I've requested cancellation from 4th April.
Can anyone enlighten me or must I wait and phone tomorrow?
Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Closing Account - Anyone know how Broadband cancellation fee is calculated?

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html#broadband_family gives the early termination charges Tables 1.9 and 1.10
rhinocratic
Grafter

Thanks OldJim. Table 1.10 is what I was looking at hence my confusion.  Plusnet Unlimited £5.50 monthly early termination charge. April-July isn't £48.75. There must be another charge that I'm unaware of.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I can't work it out either so we will need to wait for the staff to advise
rhinocratic
Grafter

Thanks for trying.
Knowing my brain it will be something obvious or something customer services told me but I've forgotten  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it can be explained by the termination charge for the phone contract too (table 3.6 in the price guide) which looks like it's £4.25 for Talk Anytime.  That would make the total termination charges £4.25 + £5.50 = £9.75 per month.  5 months at £9.75 would come to the £48.75...  Not sure the way it's been put on your account as all on broadband makes much sense, but the figures seem to work!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

alanj has got that spot on.
If you take a look at table 3.6 it should explain the cancellation charges for you. If you need anything clearing up regarding this, please do let us know and I'd be happy to explain further.
rhinocratic
Grafter

Thanks very much Alanj  & Chris. I feel a twit now for not spotting it myself    Embarrassed 
Kind Regards