cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheaper to cancel then move my contract?

patriciaxx

Cheaper to cancel then move my contract?

I just called to move my contract over to my new address.  I have been told that in order to do this I need to pay a £49 connection fee and a £65 cancellation of the old contract. If I go with another provider (e.g. Virgin who already supply the new house) I only pay the cancellation fee.
Now, I know I checked this when I took out the contract in Oct, as I knew I would be moving after 6 mths. I have heard mention that the T&Cs changed, as I would have never gone with this option if I'd known. Could this be a discrepancie?
The way round this appears to be to take another 2 year contract, but I will then be left with the same problem if I move within the next 2 years.
Is this right, seems mad to me to get a customer to pay £114 to stay and *only* £65 to leave - especially as any new provider will do the connection for free as they always do?
5 REPLIES 5
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Cheaper to cancel then move my contract?

Hi patriciaxx,
Sorry if this wasn't very clear when you spoke to our House Moves team.
If you have a read through Ticket: 86036312 it outlines the new contract that we can offer you should you wish to move the services to your new property and this would cover the costs you've stated (£65 + £49). Should you wish to not re-contract then we can move your existing contract to your new property but you would then be liable to cover the cost of the house move.
Hope this explains things a bit more clearly.
patriciaxx

Thanks for the reply.  No, that was totally clear on the call, it just is illogical that it is cheaper to cancel then to stay with you.  As I am still 5 mths away from my current contract expiring, I want to stick with that one, as otherwise I will find that I have to take another long contract when I move again within 2 years.
A shame really as your service is great I just wish I wasn't being forced into a contract that I know I cannot complete as I will move within the timeframe I expect.  It is especially frustrating as I checked all this when I signed up, as we were only ever in our current house for 7 mths until the end of May
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me.
We obviously don't want to encourage you to cancel, however, if you opted to not re-contract and we moved your services free of cost to your new property and then you cancelled a month later the cost to move your services (£65) is charged to us regardless. This is broken down as follows: it costs us £30 to disconnect the services in your old property and around £35 to re-connect them in your new property. In your particular instance it seems that there isn't a working phone line on the BT network that we can take over/reactivate so there's the added charge of £49.99 for the engineer to attend.
We are happy to cover 1 house move per year if you re-contract so if you're planning to move again in over a year then re-contracting will be the best option. If you're moving in under a year then you would have to pay for the next move if you didn't pay for this one (if you were to re-contract this time). You don't have to fulfill the 2 year contract in this property - you would be able to move your services again.
Most, if not all, providers for your new property would require that you take a contract.
patriciaxx

The only bit I don't get is if the cancellation fee is £65 including a charge for connecting in the new house, why is it not just £30 to cancel the old house?
Thanks for all your help, you still have a great service, but unfortunately for me it isn't enough as by the time I've gone through cashback sites Virgin is way cheaper and don't want a 2 year contract.  
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It is a £30 cessation fee. If you're charged any extra it's based on how much time you've got left on your contract.
No problem, sorry we can't encourage you to stay. If you're opting to cancel please contact our cancellations team - 0800 432 0200/0345 140 0200 they are open Monday - Friday 09:00 - 20:00 Saturdays 09:00 - 17:30.