cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheaper broadband with no contract or limited penalty?

jaundice

Cheaper broadband with no contract or limited penalty?

I've spent so long trying to find the answer on the website to no avail. I can't get through on the phone and the chat line is always down. I can't even get a reply on the Twitter help they suggested. So....

I need to move onto the cheapest broadband option (no phone line needed) but don't want to get tied into a long contract as I may be moving abroad in the next few months. I can't find any details about good deals, only "unlimited fibre" and that is with an 18 month contract. Anyone know of anything cheaper and what penalties there are for leaving? My contract with line rental for unlimited fibre extra has just expired, in case that helps.

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Cheaper broadband with no contract or limited penalty?

@jaundice Welcome to the forums. Sadly, Plusnet do not offer 'broadband only' contracts, but you would need a phoneline anyway to receive you signal. They also do not offer monthly contracts - I personally only know of one ISP who does, and they relatively expensive.

If you leave within that 18 month period, you will face termination penalties.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

The early termination charges are described in https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/early-termination-charges/

If you are now out of contract then you will be on a monthly rolling contract - so there will be no early termination charges, but you will probably be paying more per month.

I've used that when I didn't want a new contract - you just have to do the maths to work out what will be cheaper in your particular circumstances.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@corringham Probably a better explanation than mine! 😁

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jaundice 

Not wanting a phone suggests that you use a mobile. Paying through the nose to keep your currrent deal going for a few months out of contract wil probably be your cheapest option and requires no input from you, your contract will automatically revert to a monthly one.

Whilst I don't know of any monthly broadband deals with other suppliers have you thought of using a dongle and the mobile network for your data? Giffgaff for example do reasonably priced monthly contract 'Goody Bags' depending on your data needs.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jaundice

Thanks, yes, that's the situation I'm in at the moment, but I want to drop down from unlimited fibre extra to just unlimited fibre. I can't see if I can do this without going into a contract. Any ideas?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I could be wrong, but I believe any change to your product will trigger a new contract. The extra you are paying for fibre extra may still work out cheaper than changing and hitting early termination charges.