cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged wrong amount then charged for late payment

Sarah23
Dabbler

Charged wrong amount then charged for late payment

I added this to my most recent open question but have not received a response in 3 weeks.

Here is what I wrote:

"I'm still having trouble paying at all (direct debit isn't working and plusnet the restricts my internet and blocks its own site so I cannot pay and have to use mobile internet). The other day the site looked a bit different this time and I hoped the issue was fixed. It allowed me to set up my direct debit again but would only take a payment of £2.01, it should be £5.00, also it said my next payment will be £15.00 although I'm still in contract and it should be £5.00 per month until next year (I have a line rental saver)."

Their reply:

"I have checked your account and cant explain why you couldn't pay the correct balance.

Its likely that the £2.99 will be added to your next bill.

The next bill showing £15.00 is simply showing that way as that is the price of your service with no discount. when the bill is produced it will be the correct price of £5.00"

My replies:

"Thank you for your answer, I have just got another text message from plusnet saying they have not received payment (third one since last week) and I'm worried my internet will be restricted when I'm not expecting it. Is there anything I can do stop the messages? I can't find any way to pay the correct balance for this month and if my account is fine and the bill will be adjusted next month, could you stop the messages? Thank you."

"Oh, I have just checked my emails and I have received this message at 3am this morning (lucky I don't allow those notifications on my phone)!

"We'd like to remind you again that payment is still due on your Plusnet account. 

To avoid any restrictions to your service you should pay within the next 4 days. 

If payment is not received by this time, you will incur an administration fee of £7.50 plus a call barring fee of £5.76 which will be added to your outstanding account balance."

There is no way for me to pay again though, surely I won't incur charges over something I cannot control?"

And since then, no response.

Sure enough billing day comes (21st) and my bill shows I am being charged £15.49 including a £7.50 failed payment fee.
As usual there is absolutely no option to pay on the website until the 28th (the day payment is actually taken) and if it's anything like every month for the last year or so, tomorrow Plusnet will restrict my internet, completely block it's own site so I am forced to use either mobile internet (of which I have very little monthly data - this process uses up about 10% of it) or as I recently discovered a VPN to access the website in order to pay. Only this time I would have to pay extra through no fault of my own.

Since I have had no further response from my open question I was hoping I could get some help here, thank you for reading. Smiley

10 REPLIES 10
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Charged wrong amount then charged for late payment

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for getting in touch - I've reviewed your account and updated your ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=190600999

I'll check back in tomorrow and ensure everything has been taken as detailed on the link above.

Anything else you need, just let me know.

Take care

Dave

Sarah23
Dabbler

Aww brilliant, thanks so much for getting that sorted!

Looks like The Man in Black has moved on to better things Grin

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Sarah23

Just checking in.

Looks like this is still processing from our side - any updates in terms of the payment being taken from your side today?

Dave

"Pleased to meet you, Lloyd. Hope you guess my name".

Sarah23
Dabbler

Hi thanks for checking in,

I checked my payments yesterday morning and again a few times today and could see no payment has been made yet, just checked again now and can't get the billing page to load so perhaps it's going through now, will check again tomorrow.

I've had no restrictions today though which has been nice!

Sadly I don't know that quote - I've only read The Dark Tower Smiley

Sarah23
Dabbler

Woah scratch that, I've received a text saying my account will soon be closed due to payments outstanding.

Just checked my emails and there is on there from this morning detailing all the charges I will be getting Roll_eyes

This is an important message about payments you haven't made. 

We have previously notified you there is an overdue balance of £15.49 on your account. 

It is important your balance is paid within the next 14 days to avoid your services and account being cancelled and your details being passed onto our third party Debt Collection Agency. 

If we cancel our agreement because payment isn't made and you're still within your minimum term we'll also charge you an early termination charge for each remaining month of your minimum term. 

An estimate of these charges at the time of sending are outlined below:

Overdue balance £15.49
Early Termination charges £22.40
Total (less usage and call barring charges) £37.89

You will also be invoiced for any unbilled calls or call barring charges which have been added to your account since your last invoice. In addition, standard fees will be charged by the Debt Collection Agency. The easiest and quickest way to clear this balance and enable immediate reactivation of your services is to visit https://www.plus.net/pay/ 

There is still no option to pay on the website. I feel sorry for all you lovely forum people who have to bear the brunt of this broken system! 

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @Sarah23

Thanks for getting in touch and I am so sorry to hear about the communications you have just received, I understand how frustrating this must be for you.

Due to it being a Sunday I have escalated this to our Billing Department to make them aware of this issue. As you aren't able to process a payment at this time due to our system we need to ensure that this does not happen to your service.

I will have a response from them usually within 48 hours but would advise at the latest on Wednesday, at which point I will update your account further.

Once again, I am sorry this has happened and we will continue to work for a full resolution.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Sarah23 wrote:

There is still no option to pay on the website. I feel sorry for all you lovely forum people who have to bear the brunt of this broken system! 

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Sarah23

Sorry for the mess we're finding ourselves in here.

I've added a reply to your support ticket 190600999, I'm taking ownership of this for you to keep a close eye on things because I suspect we're going to need to request the billing is suspended on your account if this isn't sorted within a week.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sarah23
Dabbler

Hi,

I didn't want to clog up the thread with replies so I waited until today to see if anything has changed. It looks no different on my end so far, I don't think any payment has been taken. I've set up the direct debit again as suggested, it says it can take up to five working days - fingers crossed this one works! Thumbs_Up

Thank you all for joining in to help!

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Sarah23 I am sorry to hear that there have been no changes with your account billing service.

I have updated the ticket on your account which you can view by Clicking Here

My colleague @Gandalf is managing your query and will continue to support you on this channel.

Currently, he is away from the office, I have forwarded an email to him to continue to monitor your query and provide you with an update when necessary.

Best wishes.