cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for early terminaton even though promised I wouldn't be!

Jon_B
Dabbler

Charged for early terminaton even though promised I wouldn't be!

13th April received "As promised, we’re getting in touch to offer you an account review" email.

Contained the wording:

If you decide to leave before the end of your current contract you can do so without paying any early termination fees by getting in touch with us on 0800 587 1942 and giving 14 days’ notice.

Phoned to see what Plusnet could offer, but would still be out of pocket compared to the two best deals for same speed on the Money Saving Expert site, due to cashback offers. I questioned how to do the 14 days notice since it would normally be the new provider that triggers the switch-over date, and was told I could just go ahead and tell the new provider to start the process.

21st April received "We're sorry to hear you're leaving us" email.

Started to smell a rat, since this said:

Because you're moving your broadband and phone before the end of your minimum term, you will be subject to early termination charges. These have been calculated at £13.29

22nd April phoned Plusnet to query this charge. Was asked to forward the Plusnet email from 13th to the gentleman on the phone. He agreed that I shouldn't be charged and added a ticket to my account saying so.

1st June received bill which includes a £21.03 early termination charge.

3rd June phoned Plusnet to query this charge again and point out the ticket put on my account last time.

Came away from the call not filled with confidence. I was told to cancel my direct debit, otherwise the payment would be taken and things would "get messy". Got another ticket added to my account, referring to the previous ticket, asking if the bill could be re-done without the ETC charge.

Now I'm worried about the consequences of the automated direct debit not going through (effect on credit file.... debt collectors...?)

As far as I can tell, Plusnet actually owe me £2.81.

6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Charged for early terminaton even though promised I wouldn't be!

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Account/Billing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Jon_B and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sincerely sorry that you've had such issues when trying to close your account recently and it certainly sounds like this was an error made on our side with you having given us the warning we asked for but the early termination fee's still generated.

I've looked into this issue in full for you have have proposed 2 ways in which we can look to correct this for you moving forwards via a ticket I'll be monitoring on your account.
If you could please let me know either on here or on the ticket with which you'd prefer and I'll be sure to both action this whilst making sure to keep an eye on the account until this gets resolved for you.

The ticket I've raised on your account can be seen here:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=214880482

(You may need to be logged into the member center prior to clicking the link in order to add a comment.)

I look forwards to hearing from you.

Jon_B
Dabbler

Hi Ben, thanks for your response.

I think I would prefer to settle the existing bill and wait for a refund.

I'm not sure how plus.net/pay works - it just gives an error if I go to that address. Or do you need to set something up first?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Jon_B, thanks for getting back to me and confirming.
I'm sorry to hear the plus.net/pay method isn't working and I'd advise then giving our customer service team a call when you can so the amount can be cleared over the phone. They are contactable on 0800 432 0200 and are available from 08:00 - 20:00 Monday - Sunday.

Once it has been cleared, feel free to give me a nudge on here and I'll get the refund issued for you.
I look forwards to hearing from you further.

Jon_B
Dabbler

I tried phoning customer services to settle the final bill, but apparently I can't do this yet. I have to wait for an automated email to say there's an outstanding balance...

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Jon_B, thanks for getting back to me and I'm sorry to hear you're unable to clear the balance currently (this could also explain the error you got when going to plus.net/pay). I beleive this is due to the direct debit process not bouncing back on our side yet which should happen in the next 1-3 days at most. As advised, you should receive a notification once the direct debit has failed and at this point I'd recommend trying the link or giving us a call to clear the balance.
My apologies I overlooked the current direct debit process when advising you previously and I look forwards to hearing from you moving forwards.