cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for calls (under an hour) to another Plusnet Broadband User. Plusnet won't refund???

FIXED
flexaplex
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Charged for calls (under an hour) to another Plusnet Broadband User. Plusnet won't refund???

Backstory:

My mother-in-law was on a Plusnet Broadband and Telephone service, in fact I recommended her to Plusnet so we could get free to calls to her as my wife calls her frequently. All was fine with this until October when she moved house. Now apparently unbeknownst to us until today (because I've only just checked our bills) we've be charged for calls made to her new number.. altogether this is a charge in the region of £120 or something since October (I haven't bother to add it all up yet).

Apparently what's happened, when she moved house, is that she's stayed with Plusnet broadband but her Telephone has been changed for some reason (to BT believe). Now neither my mother-in-law or us were aware of this change. After calling Plusnet Customer Services they are refusing to refund our calls made to her an the basis that her phone-line is not with Plusnet. I have a few major issues with this though:

1) Under my call perks (a screenshot of which can be seen attached at the bottom of this post) it clearly states "Enjoy free calls to other Plusnet broadband customers". Nowhere does it state that they need to have a phone-line too. If this is not the case then this is misleading and false advertising.

2) Regardless of point 1, this is a clear and obvious mistake and we should not be punished for it. For starters it relied on the actions and competence of someone else other than ourselves (namely our mother-in-law) which seems unfair on our behalf. In our statements it can clearly be seen that we have been making many free calls to a number before October and then suddenly in October we are frequently being charged. It is obviously the case that we were completely unaware that the situation had supposedly been changed.

3) This is more some suggestions and recommendations for Plusnet going forward but I feel a refund is warranted on the basis that these things should be implemented but aren't.

A) I highly suggest Plusnet use an algorithm to check for frequent 'Call Friends'  who are Plusnet users. Then if one of your 'Call Friends' moves away from Plusnet a friendly alert should be issued to you so you do not fall down this trap.

B) If you're racking up a large phone-bill to a singular home land-line number; don't you think Plusnet should perhaps warn you about this? I should have received a friendly alert that there was a large phone-bill to a singular land-line number. This would help protect from incidents such as these where someone thinks they are making free-calls but they are not, and other incidents also for example if someone's kids are calling someone frequently and creating a huge phone-bill without the parents realizing. You could even suggest in the message "We notice you've been making a lot of call to this number, why don't you consider asking them to join Plusnet so you can call them for free!" - oh hey look a business opportunity out of it even..

Those are what I consider very valid points as to why we should receive a refund in full for the calls made to my mother-in-law since October. I am very disappointed that the customer service agent refused a refund, I also asked if it could be disputed in any way and she flat-out said no.

I will give Plusnet some benefit of the doubt here; I believe the customer service agent I rang was rather new and not properly trained. She didn't even know that there's a policy to receive free phone-calls to other Plusnet users until she asked someone, she was strangely laughing through-out the phone-conversation for no reason and at random periods, she kept calling me by the wrong name (actually 2 completely different wrong names, the 2nd one not even close to my real name), she didn't seem to care at all when I made it clear to her that Plusnet would likely be losing a costumer over this incident and just said there was nothing she could do.

So I will give Plusnet another chance to correct their position and offer me a refund, would anyone here on the forum please be able to recommend my best way forward in contacting Plusnet in order to properly resolve this issue? That would be most helpful thanks.

If Plusnet do not change their stance on the refund do you think I would have a case bringing this up with the Ombudsman?

I would be very disappointed if it had to come to that though. I have been a Plusnet user for a long time. I recommended my mother-in-law, my parents and my grand-parents-in-law to Plusnet also. If this issue is not properly dealt with I will definitely be leaving Plusnet myself out of principle; however I will then lose my free calls to those family members so the rest of my family would have to find a new network too so we could continue receiving free-calls to each other. So Plusnet would stand to lose 4 long-term customers because they refuse to make a fair refund to us, I don't know how much Plusnet would lose from this but I can only imagine it would significantly outweigh the comparatively small justifiable refund of just over £100: so I'm hoping they will see sense on the matter.

plusnet.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Charged for calls (under an hour) to another Plusnet Broadband User. Plusnet won't refund???

Hi @flexaplex 

Welcome to the Forums - i do wish, however, that it were under better circumstances. 

Let me preface this reply by initially providing my apologies for the apparent level of customer service which you received whilst talking to one of our agents about this matter. What you have described does not meet the high standards or core values that we as a company set and except all employees to adhere to. Regardless of the outcome of my investigation into this matter (which I have already started) I will ensure that appropriate feedback is passed to this particular agents Line Manager, and that extra coaching/training is offered to fill any knowledge gaps which she might have. 

Now, in regards to the issue at hand, regular process does dictate that calls to other Plusnet customers are not chargeable. If your MIL 's landline is (for whatever reason) now with a different provider, this would negate this. 

Apparently what's happened, when she moved house, is that she's stayed with Plusnet broadband but her Telephone has been changed for some reason (to BT believe). Now neither my mother-in-law or us were aware of this change. 

This does not sound right in any way. When your MIL moved house, do you know if she asked for both her BB and LL service to be transferred over? I'd like to check a few things on her account as well, if I may? I've looked at your call charges to try and find a commonly dialed number (as this may well be your MIL's), without telling us any more of the number, can you confirm if her Landline ends in 526 ? 

Your point regarding the wording of the screenshot is very fair - let me raise this to the powers that be and see what is said about it. I'll (or one of the other staff members here) will get back to you about this shortly. 

I know I have not replied to every point which you made above, but we need to clarify a few things in regards to the issue first of all. Once we know whats going on then we can discuss the rest of your post. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

flexaplex
Hooked

Re: Charged for calls (under an hour) to another Plusnet Broadband User. Plusnet won't refund???

Hi MoR.

Yes you have the correct number there ending 3526, her previous number ended 4030 you will see this on our statements before October. Her initials are G.S.

I do not know what has happened and why her phone carrier has been switched. She is still under the impression that Plusnet is providing both her broadband and phone-line so I can only presume she requested that both were transferred when she moved. I just requested a house-move myself yesterday which is when I looked at my bills for the 1st time after the customer service agent I spoke to was shocked how high our our bills were. I know from just going through it that the phone carrier is also naturally changed to Plusnet in the process - I presume she would have had to specifically ask to change phone carriers which would be highly irregular and makes no sense - especially since she's still under the impression that Plusnet provide her phone-line.

I just asked my wife about it and she has told me that my mother-in-law pays all her bills to plusnet including her phone bill, if that's the case that makes no sense - we will have to look into that further but she's actually down visiting us for 2 days so I imagine she will be unable to check her bills again until she's back home.

In any case I appreciate this being properly investigated so thank you.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @flexaplex

Thanks for coming back to us with further information.

Would it be possible for you to either call us when your MIL is with you, or drop us a line and we'll give you a call?

We're in a difficult situation at the moment in that we can't confirm any of the information regarding your MIL's account without running through security with her first. I suggest doing this when she's with you as I know you have questions and will want to clarify some of the points you have raised in your OP. It makes sense to have both of these conversations at the same time.

Thanks,

Dave

flexaplex
Hooked

OK I can do that. Who can I request when making the call in order to make sure this is dealt with properly? The situation is rather confusing for someone to jump into the middle of.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @flexaplex

I've linked this forum thread on your account and your MIL's account so that whoever picks up your call can review accordingly.

I'd recommend speaking to our provisioning team (calling about your order on the telephone IVR) as a starting point.

Best wishes

Dave

flexaplex
Hooked

I've just spoken to another agent who was a lot better, he said he would have issued the refund if he could but he's not authorized to refund more than £30 so the issue has been passed on to the Plusnet billing team to look over. My mother-in-law has still yet to speak to them so I still don't know what's happened with regards to her phone carrier being strangely switched yet apparently still paying Plusnet for phone bills.

I am hopeful now that it will get properly resolved, thanks for the help from here.

flexaplex
Hooked

I still have yet to hear about a decision. Can this be checked upon by anyone here or do I need to ring again to chase it up? Thanks.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Fix

Hi @flexaplex,

Apologies if you have not heard anything from us about the issue.

The issue is undergoing investigation by our IT Department, however I've checked your records and can see we did respond to your query here.

Do come back to us if there's anything that you're not sure of.

Thanks - LF